1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drifting Away...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tim, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Ok, I normally wouldn't post this, but lately I've gotten to thinking. I haven't seen any of my friends in person since graduation day/night, except 2 who only kept in contact for a week after that. Anyways, one of my sisters said I have no real friends, which really hurt me. She said it as a joke, but it got me thinking.

The only way I have to contact my friends is myspace. I have a few of their phone numbers, but I hate calling people, as I tend to catch people in times they don't want to talk, which of course, makes it worse.

In the past 10 months since graduation, my best friend has become a stranger. When I came out, she didn't say anything, she's known for years, but I told her before I was going to, and she didn't so much as encourage me. 2 people I met in German class last year however, were completely supportive and made me happy. My other 2 friends slowly fade away, I talk to them, they show some kind of want to talk back, but then stop responding after a while. A lot of my other casual friends are more supportive then my close friends nowadays, they aren't very talkative and such however, so I don't consider them close friends, but it just makes me so sad when I think of all the time my friends and I spent together, and them to just throw it away. I've always wanted to keep in contact, they know that, I've tried to contact them, but they ignored me.

Right now, my 2 best friends are the 2 people I consider second moms. They've been so supportive since my coming out, and at my bday party, all we did was talk and play scrabble. My other friend I can consider close is a girl I met online a few days after my dad passed away. We've known each other 5 years now, and in no way can I not consider her a friend. I've known her since she was an 11 year old addicted to pokemon, and now she's a 16 year old, who's always nice to talk to.

Am I wrong to want my friends to stop drifting from me? I'm being reduced to having no offline friends that are not family. I thought being gay was the main reason I was in my depression, and it was... until high school ended. This is slowly eating me away, and although I have told everyone about it, they still ignore it. I just... don't know what to do. I'm not social in the least bit unless I'm around friends, which I can't be, because they're all too busy nowadays, (or so they say). I can't find a job, so I can't get to know people at my work, and I live in the projects, so not about to try to find friends here, the 2 friends I had in 6th grade stopped talking to me when I became a freshmen in highschool, their parents thought I was too old. -.- (The girl is a sophomore and the boy is a freshmen this year.) Anyways, like I said, am I wrong to want friends to stop drifting?

Sorry bout the ranting... Just some times I have to, helps me alleviate some stress...

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, this sort of thing is REALLY common.

When you're in high school, you're all forced to go into the same building every day. You end up near the same folks on an ongoing basis. You see the same people, and so you tend to interact more. It's a lot easier to meet folks and make friends during high school, simply because you're all placed into the same spot.

Once school ends, you no longer see them daily. Or weekly. Or monthly. You might run into them at the store, or on the street, but it's a chance encounter. Suddenly, the onus on keeping the relationship going falls on the participants. It's up to you and your friends/semi-friends to keep the relationship alive.

And, as your finding, some people aren't doing it. Either they're not aware that they need to, or they just aren't interested in putting in the effort. I don't think it has anything to do with you personally - they're probably just focusing on the one (or two) friendships, and letting everybody else fall by the wayside. It sucks, but there it is.

So what can you do? A few things. Actively pursue the ones you think are worth salvaging. Don't just send a shout-on on myspace. Call. Stop by. See if they wantto do something. Don't be vague - "you wanna do something sometime?". Pick an activity you think they'll like, and make a plan. "How about we go bowling Saturday?" "Let's go see the Screaming Cheese concert at the end of the month, maybe have dinner first."

Secondly, respond to those that respond to you. They're taking the steps that others aren't. Let them know how much you appreciate that.

Thirdly, keep working on getting a job. It doesn't have to be full-time, or something you want to do for the rest of your life (or even the rest of the summer). Something to work at, something to add to your resume. Because nothing looks better to employers than employment. :slight_smile: If you still can't find anything, look into volunteer work. Don't look to your friends to fill your days - fill them yourself. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have found the same sort of thing happens when changing jobs. We all promise to keep in touch but it really doesn't happen. We do, sort of, for a while, but it usually fizzles out within a few months.

A lot of our real-life friends are from work, school, college etc. The two guys I work with I regard as good friends. One guy I worked with in my previous job I also regarded as a good friend but we drifted apart within a few months.

So don't feel too bad about drifting away from school friends now you are away from school. It is not unusual, and it is not just you. It's just life, unfortunately.

If you can't get a paid job yet, what about voluntary work? Charities and voluntary groups always need more people. If you can find something you enjoy it's good for your self-esteem and outlook, good for getting a reference for a job, and good for making friends.

4. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

I'm sorry to hear that. :frowning2: I can sorta relate, this girl who was my best friend years and years ago drifted away from me.

There's nothing really that I can say other than what's already been said, so listen to the above 2 posters, and I hope things get better for you.

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I haven't really much advice, except to recommend what the above posters have already said, and to say that I too have experienced a similar drifting of friends whenever moving/leaving school and university. There is one friend, for instance, who although was my best friend throughout university, I haven't actually seen since graduation day some years ago, although we talk on the phone/email every 6 months. It seems as though as soon as we were taken out of the similar setting, we no longer functioned as best friends. Instead, those we both spoke to every day were those we worked with, and lived with. I experienced this when leaving school, too - usually I only take one or two friends with me, if you know what I mean.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't feel upset that you feel you're losing contact with friends, but it is to say that it is usual, and that it's very unlikely to be personal, because of you. In fact, it may be that some of your friends feel the same way. Once you leave school everyone gets different timetables and priorities, and you actually have to work at meeting each other. So I think that you just have to try and pursue it, and try and get people's emails and numbers, even though you say you don't like phoning people. And, as has been said, work is also a great way to meet people. But I hope that you manage to re-establish contact with at least some of them. But whatever you do, don't try and take it too personally, as it's happened to most of us at some point. But good luck!

6. Tim

Tim

Thanks for all the advice, I posted a blog on myspace, and a few of my friends realized I was referring to them, and are attempting to keep in contact, and one thing I learned is one of the people I called a best friend is no longer friends without another person I used to call a best friend, and she just started zoning out everyone that was friends with him. My friend who got married and moved to washington says she's always open to talking, just to message her, but most the time she doesn't have much to say, as she's stuck at home lol.

My sister helped me, She explained that she had found out I was gay via myspace, (I had somehow forgot to tell her, which I feel bad about). But she said she still loves me all the same, and her door is always open to play some cards at night, which we used to do all the time when I was smaller.

I don't feel I have people I can call my best friends anymore, but after getting some sleep finally, I've decided to take life as it comes, I'll lose friends, but in my experience, in the end, I'll gain new friends.