1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not out about being out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tigerlily, Apr 11, 2013.

1. tigerlily

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is going to sound really weird.

So I came out to my mum as bisexual on Monday, it wasn't a school day. We went back to school on Tuesday and I didn't tell any of my friends (who I am out to) that I came out to my mum. I don't really know why, I guess I was still feeling kind of emotional from it and I needed a bit longer to process it. She was fine with it, she didn't yell or scream or kick me out or anything, she was pretty accepting. So I don't really know, but ever since then I've felt really uncomfortable around my friends because I know I should tell them but I just haven't. One of my friends does know, we're really close and I was messaging her just as I was about to tell my mum. I think she thinks I should've told the rest of our friends (6 other people), so whenever we're all together and she's there I feel really awkward. I've basically been trying to avoid them since then, or to talk as little as possible when we're all hanging out together at lunch. I don't really know why I don't tell them to be honest. I guess maybe whenever I talk about my sexuality I feel as though I've been talking about it too much, even though it's really hardly ever; once every couple of months maybe. I don't really like to feel like I'm the different one out of all of us and I don't like acknowledging it. I also feel like the longer I leave it to tell them, the more awkward I feel about it. I was going to message them all as soon as I told my mum, but we always have group chats open and two of my other friends were talking about something completely different and I didn't want to interrupt I guess.

Did anybody else find this after they first came out to their parent/significant family member?

2. LD579

Well, I can't specifically relate to your situation, but I can offer my thoughts. It makes sense that you feel like you've been talking about your sexuality a lot because you've likely been thinking about it a lot. The difference is that others aren't thinking about your sexuality as much as you have and are. In that light, it likely won't be a big deal if you come out to your other friends, unless some or all of them are intolerant / not accepting.

Really, it'd basically be like a whole sitcom episode dedicated to your sexuality, and then... That's it. It'd be an established part of your character for the rest of the season, and the rest of the series, too. There's not much to say, really... They won't (and shouldn't) think you're self-centered or anything just because you come out to them. You kind of don't have much to worry about, it seems (I could be wrong).

Avoiding your friends can only last so long before it starts to become damaging to the relationship. In that light, you may want to stop avoiding them, and you may want to tell them about yourself one day. I hope things work out nicely for you.

As a side note, I like tiger lilies =)

3. tigerlily

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the reply, it was nice to get a different perspective :slight_smile: And you're right about me thinking about it more than they do. I'm probably blowing the whole thing out of proportion in my head.

Anyway, I think I'm just going to send them an email and tell them, because I have this one friend who we're all friends with but she doesn't go to our school, so if I email them all I can include her instead of telling them in person and leaving her out.

Idk I think I am overanalysing this whole thing tbh haha. Anyway, thank you for your advice :slight_smile: