1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally going to say something! Any last minute advice, please?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dans le placard, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Dans le placard

Okay, so I made a topic back here a few months ago describing my confusing situation. Since then, quite a bit of other stuff has happened, and I think I've truly come to terms with myself on a personal level about who I am. Naturally, I've decided that I'm going to start to tell people after all these years, and where possible, to do it face to face so as to be more legitimate.

I'm going to meet up with a good friend tomorrow for lunch, and I've decided that I'm going to talk to her about my sexuality. However, I'm unsure over how to exactly phrase it. We've got loads to talk about anyway, so part of me thinks I should casually drop it in amongst the agenda so as to not let it dominate. However, part of me thinks that is a big life decision I'm making and that it should be treated as a centre piece for discussion as opposed to talking about a recent trip to London.

There is also something I think may be a slight issue as well. When I was still "straight" a few months ago, I sorta asked her to set me up on a date with one of her friends. Fortunately I could play the busy card by the time when she said that she'd found someone (and believe me, I was busy at the time anyway), which let it fall to the wayside. Part of me thinks it was no big deal anyway (unless my friend's friend had seen a photo of me and fell instantly in love), but part of me thinks that my behaviour could have come across as a bit selfish, which may piss her off.

Maybe I'm overthinking things, but in any case, has anyone got any bits of advice they could give me? Thanks in advance. :icon_bigg

#1 Dans le placard, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

I have found that all you need to say are the words "coming out" and people understand.

As for the other issue, yeah, you are probably overthinking this one...

good luck!

3. LD579

Well... I don't know if this is too late of a response or not, but... If you want to not let the talk about the trip to London dominate, you may want to talk about it first (your sexuality). It also depends on whether it's your trip to London, hers, or both of yours. If it's just your trip, it'd be fine, but it may be insensitive to try to just talk about your sexuality (even though it can be a big deal) if it's about her trip, whether you shared it or not.

Your previous faux-interested-in-dating behaviour may piss her off, but she'll likely get over it, if she even is annoyed. She might / should realize the honour she's been given, really, if she's the first person you'll come out to. As to how to bring the subject up... You could always just say it. Questions and answers could flow from that like a wide river. ("Whaaaat?! When did you know? How do you know? Blargh, etc.")