1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well, that was awkkkkward.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by piratealisonnn, Apr 12, 2013.

1. piratealisonnn

Sooo I'm at an awkward spot with my mother. Here's what happened:

The other night we were discussing if one of my managers is gay. She was joking with me and was like, "I've been wondering for a while if you are as well." Without even thinking, I looked at her and was like, "so what if I am." She just shook her head like saying, "I don't really care." Then that was the end of it.

Now, I don't know where I stand with this issue. I've been waiting for her to ask me if I'm gay. She does from time to time and has been since I was in high school. I always reply quickly with "no" but I plan on this time answering honestly. I think she already suspects it but who knows.

2. manoverboard09

at this point I think you should just tell her. you have already kind of talked about it, and it's obvious she suspects it. I say go for it, I don't see anything bad happening with it since she seems to be okay with the idea.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Snap :slight_smile: same as me, next time my Mom asks, that's it "Yes Mom, I am Gay" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. Goodnyte

Honestly? Tell her. She said she really doesn't care if you are. Due to that, I dout any bad would occur. If she suspects, just tell her. She is still your mother regardless and you are still her Daughter. Next time it comes up, or any times really, tell her you are gay. Good luck!

#4 Goodnyte, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. lawRAWR

Yeah I agree with the others, she seems as if she wouldn't really mind either? At least it would seem as if she would take it well. Tell her next time, or bring up the conversation you mentioned that happened, and tell her!

6. silver fox

I say go for it. Your mom sounds like an understanding and accepting person, and from what you said she seems to suspect something anyway. I wasn't there for tone, but it sounds like it was relatively light-hearted, and her response afterwards of "I don't really care" is a good sign imo. The only time my mom asked if I was gay, she said it with apprehension and her choice of words made me uncomfortable, like "Wait... you're not starting to think you're gay, are you?" And when I said no (technically I wasn't lying) she said alright but I could have sworn I heard a note of relief in her voice. It doesn't sound like that's at all what happened with your mom, and she did say she wouldn't mind either way, so I think you're safe. In any case, good luck!

7. manoverboard09

I wish my parents would ask me. It would make coming out much easier >_>

8. Tokgay

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    If she is asking you whether you are gay or not, she probably knows, and wants to help you along, or at least suspects! If she was not ok with it, she wouldn't ask about it, so I agree with the previous posters. Trust your instincts, and wait until you are ready, and if she asks, go along. :slight_smile:

9. Femmeme

I was reading a coming out story the other day where someone's mother said, "Just tell me, because I already know." I think your mother might be feeling the same way.

Good luck!

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She already knows, and your "so what if I am" is what's called a non-denial-denial. Anyone with a brain could see it as a dodge to the question, and if she's asked you repeatedly, then she almost certainly knows.

So... tell her. Get it out in the open :slight_smile:

11. Incognito10

Well, it sounds like you already know how she would feel. She sounded pretty nonchalant about it, which is more than some people can say about their parents reactions :slight_smile:

12. Lewis

You definitely need to confirm it so you can both move on from these awkward conversations. Your mom sounds like she'll take it amazingly.

I wish my parents would ask...I've never had a girlfriend, never show interest in girls and it's just obvious.

---------- Post added 13th Apr 2013 at 03:42 AM ----------

Oh and I wanted to ask if I could steal your little 'NOH8' campaign signature. It's okay if you want it to be original to your sig :slight_smile:

13. manoverboard09

Haha, of course you can :thumbsup:

And please let us know what happens! If you tell your mom or not.