1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sigurros652, Apr 12, 2013.

1. sigurros652

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have come out to my therapist, and am trying to come out to my straight friend before we finally decide on our college housing for next semester (we have already decided to room together). I have had quite a few moments where I've been close to coming out to him, but I'm too nervous about it. I don't want him to get the wrong idea. I'm debating whether I should just come out to him via text just so I can get it over with without having to tell him to his face, because I'm not sure that I can bring myself to do it. Do you all have any advice?

2. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Every friend that I've come out to, got the news by text. I think text is potentially ok, as long as you make sure to have some human interaction with them about the news after. It's too easy to tell them through text, and then awkwardly avoid it once you tell them. Plus, it's always a good idea to see how they feel about it.

3. StormySea

While text may work, you have to be very careful about wording, and like Bassplayer said, you need that face to face interaction after.
    You can also write out a letter, but like the text, there's really no way to avoid that human interaction at some point in time.
    Do you think your friend will be accepting if you come out to him? If not, it might be a better idea to keep your sexual orientation under the radar until you don't have to room with him anymore.

4. sigurros652

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure he'd be fine with it, I just have severe social anxiety and am having trouble mustering up the courage to say it.

5. StormySea

Aw man, I feel your pain- I'm an introvert that has problems approaching people in public xD
    Think out what your going to say to him before hand. Writing it out of making bullet points to memorize is a good start. You want to make sure to hit certain points in your little spiel to ensure he doesn't either freak out or even become a bit scared of you. (Like remember to say you're not into /every/ guy you come across and nothing has actually changed about you, now he just knows more about you, etc., etc.) You have to keep in mind that he most likely assumes you're strait and it's hard for friends to suddenly have a change in perception like that. :3

You could also tell him very off-handedly and sort of slip it into conversation... Really just out with it in whatever way you feel most comfortable. ;3

6. sigurros652

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wanted to let you guys know that I did come out to one friend (although a lot of alcohol was needed to muster up the courage) and he was completely fine with it.

7. Dee

Dee

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think text would be fine. I was too nervous to tell people in person so i used facebook. If i had waited to tell people face to face, id still be in the closet. Do what makes you feel most comfortable : )

8. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats on coming out to him!!