1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really need to vent

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hitch, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Hitch

So i came out on this site a few days ago. Told my mom and she was supportive(at least i thought). Told my brother and he was supportive. The one person i was worried about telling was my dad. Told him over the phone a couple of days ago, and he seemed supportive, but said he had to check his bible, lol.

I was really starting to feel good about myself and was ready to tell my step-dad, who has always been an open minded person. Texted my mom that i was going to and she texts my back saying, "no, i will be upset with you. This is not just about you, it effects everyone".

I can't believe she would say that to me. I have never been so disgusted with myself in my life. Why should this have any effect on anybody? I don't even know what to say to her. I just feel that i have nobody that understands what I'm going through. She's worried how this is going to effect her. It really must be that humiliating to have a gay son. Everybody just wants me to be quiet about it because they're afraid how it will make them look.

Then, i realized that my grandma went on the rag about gay people and how they're just immoral. It all started with something that McDonalds did that somehow supported gay people. She made this big deal about not eating at Mcdonalds because they support gays and would get upset when we did.

I watched the Jackie Robinson movie "42" last night. I found myself shaking my head at the way a person can treat another human being, just because they were born differently. But here we are, 70+ years later, treating human beings differently simply because they were born differently. Do we not ever learn from our mistakes? The bigots that stood against equality for the blacks, are the some type of bigot that is standing in the way of equality for gays. My children and grandchildren will be shaking their heads, just like i was, because of the way human beings treat each other, for no reason other than the way they were born.

I don't consider people a bigot because they don't like gays. I consider them a bigot when they stand in the way of equality. You may not like us, but you can still support equality because you're just a decent human being.

Sorry guys, i just needed to get that out. What my mom said to me just set me off. I really have no idea how I'm going to deal with this situation. I've never been hurt so much by so few words.

#1 Hitch, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  2. Xenia

Xenia Guest

I think your family did not understand the importance of those things which you are going through. you need to give them time, but at the same time you should try to change their opinion about gay people, just don't push on it too much. they think it is unnatural what you feel, just show them that it is not.