1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My PARENTS!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theCHIVEguy21, Apr 14, 2013.

1. theCHIVEguy21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am having the most difficult time coming out to them. I want to get it over with because I just want to be openly gay.:bang: I first came out to my two closest friends, but they pretty much knew, and to my brother, who I am very close to and fortunately he is very supportive. But I don't want to come out to anyone else before I tell my parents because I don't want them to hear it secondhand.

I have been raised Catholic and went to a catholic grade school and high school. Both my parents are very religious, my dad is actually in school to become a deacon in the church. I know where the church stands....but not my parents. I have no idea how to tell them that I am gay. Any advice???

2. Hefiel

Test the waters. You could always try and find some way to ask what is religion and your father's views on homosexuality. There's a lot of debate at the moment about same-sex marriage vs. religion, so there should be an opportunity to raise the question.

3. theCHIVEguy21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks!! That's a great idea!!

4. Dee

Dee

Out Status:
    Some people
    Testing the waters is a great idea.. perhaps talk to your brother about the two of you staging a convo when you are with your parents. You and your brother chat about gay marriage and your brother casually asks your parents when they think. If your family reads the newspaper and there is an article on gay marriage, that could help spark the topic.

5. theCHIVEguy21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The news paper is an also a good idea.
    Unfortunately my brother is in the navy and is stationed in California and I'm near Chicago, so we don't see each other that often.