1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just screamed I don't like men at my mom and grandmother.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ariadne, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was having a discussion about my dislike of children with my mom and grandmother, which eventually turned out into a fight. My grandmother began to stick her nose into my sex life, asking me if I was having sex, if I intended to have sex, and then proceeded to tell me why I shouldn't have sex, how I'm too stupid for my current university (which is the best in the region), and how I'm rejecting my 5 year old nephew by not liking kids. She also told me I'm not a good enough granddaughter for her and how my mom raised me the wrong way, among other hurtful things. I tried to stay quiet, but I couldn't after so much bullshit, so I dropped the I DON'T LIKE MEN bomb (even though I'm not 100% sure about it). She went to her room and cried for a good two hours after that. My mom didn't say anything about it, I think she probably took it well, except for the fact that I screamed it at them.

This lady is a die hard catholic, and I don't know how to approach her without starting a fight. I'm unsure about what I should do. Any advice from people with die hard religious relatives would be extremely welcome. I didn't even want to say anything until I was absolutely positive about this. Come to think of it, any advice would be welcome. Please.

2. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    If someone can't respect you enough to accept you for who u r, than u don't need to approach them at all. Let them make the moves.

3. BornInTexas

I wouldn't approach her. Let her come to you if she wants to talk.

4. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I normally wouldn't care because we don't live together, but I have to move in with her for two months in May. I don't want to live in a hostile environment for the next two months. My grandmother is FAR too proud to try to talk to me, and she never forgets the wrongs you do to her.

5. Hot Pink

Man, that's certainly one way to come out. You should probably apologize for yelling, but don't apologize for not liking men.

6. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What might be good- Say that you are sorry of how you snapped at her but stand your ground and reinforce how you feel. If she can't handle that then tell her you'd rather not discuss it and you would like her to respect you and your feelings.

7. UndercoverGypsy

Frankly, she sounds like a bitch. Don't apologize for who you are, but like Spitfire said, maybe apologize for snapping. Make it clear that she's gonna have to deal with your sexuality, and don't give in. Christians can be very manipulative (sorry, religious people).

8. theMaverick

Give them time. Don't take this the wrong way, but you probably told them in the worst possible way. It's likely a huge shock to them + combined with the way you told them = give them time to process.

9. iwannabemyself

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    gently talk to her. but she might not take it well. have faith in what you believe in, even if she doesnt agree

10. Ariadne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well...I guess I'll just give them time. Thanks.