1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling cornered...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Prima, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Prima

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I kinda have to come out to my best friend tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'm ready.

Let me explain. Apparently, a guy friend of mine has had a crush on me for awhile, and my friend (let's call her T) has been trying to set me up with him. Today she got him to ask me to my school's spring formal dance (I feel so young...). I'm stalling a bit on giving him an answer, though I know in the end I can't say yes. And while I feel bad about it, that's not really my main problem.

The problem is that T is really insistent that I say yes. I tried just telling her that I don't feel the same way, but she just said I should try it out anyway, because she was certain that I'd end up liking him if I spent enough time with him. As I was leaving school for the day I tried to tell her, but just before I could say "I'm a lesbian", he walked over to us. T. expects me to tell her tomorrow, and I was specific enough while trying to come out to her that I can't make something else up. To be honest, I'm not sure how she'd react. I'm scared that if I tell her she'll start feeling uncomfortable around me (or worse, she could stop wanting to be around me at all). She's a nice girl, but I'm still worried about it. She'll be shocked, at least. I had wanted to wait awhile before telling her, but now I'm feeling like I have to.

What should I do?

2. Goodnyte

You don't have to come out to them if you don't want to. However, they probably want an explanation so that is the best option. If you don't want to, you don' have to. It is your option and your choice only. But, no matter what you do: Do not lie! That will change, if not ruin, your friendship.

With the guy. Tell him you wouldn't mind going as friends, nothing more. Unless you just don't want to go with him at all. Tell him the truh. Not the whole "I'm lesbian part" just that you don't like him like that.

Good luck hun! I hope I helped, even if just a tiny bit.