1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The speed of coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dans le placard, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Dans le placard

Okay, so as I have mentioned, after what seemed like forever, I finally came out to some people on Friday, including my parents. As you can imagine, a great deal of weight has been taken off my shoulders, and when all is said and done, so far so good. My parents are cool with it, but yesterday when talking to my mum, she seemed to imply she was worried I may be forcing myself to be out. I didn't think I was, mainly as I wanted it to be personal and only wanted to focus on immediate family and trustworthy friends, but what she said said, though not intended to question, has given me some doubts.

So far, my out count isn't particularly high, simply because it's still early days and I want to tell people in a personable, private way (e.g. face to face, Skype calls, phone calls - nothing like Tweets or Facebook wall posts). However, I'm now at a stage where I do feel more content with my sexual feelings and am now only anxious to tell friends and to get on with my life (i.e. meeting guys). I've already set up an online dating profile on the hush a few months ago, though I haven't done much with it (I haven't even added a photo). I'm also supposed to be going out with a group of friends on Friday, and I have a suspicion they may end up dragging me to a gay club or bar at some point during the night (a majority of this group are girls) - and I will admit to feeling semi-nervous about that as I've never been to one before and have no idea what to expect!

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone thinks I may indeed be doing things too quickly. As I said, I want to lead the happy life I've denied myself, but am I going at it a bit too fast?

2. theMaverick

Do YOU feel like you are going too fast?

3. Dans le placard

Yes and no.

As I said, I want to get on with my life and start living how I've wanted to live for some time. I want to start meeting similar guys, and to maybe even start a relationship sometime soon. In fact, up until yesterday, I felt fine with the way my coming out was going.

But at the same time, I feel somewhat nervous about going through with a lot of stuff. I know that if I were put in a gay bar/club, I would naturally feel overwhelmed. I'm fine with who I am, but I have to say that a bit of idle talk or Facebook photo sharing may out me to people in ways I don't want them to (which is basically the impersonal ways I alluded to) or to people I don't frankly have any right to know (such as 95% of my Facebook "friends"). Ultimately, I think that my sexuality should be part of who I am, but should not define who I am and with whom I interact.

Am I overthinking too much? Who knows... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#3 Dans le placard, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. manoverboard09

I think coming out is a life-long process.. in a sense.
    It's been years coming for me, and only 2 people know.
    But just recently I decided I'm not going to officially "come out". I'm just going to not worry about it. If people ask me, I'll tell. But I'm just going to live my life as normal as I can. Normal for me... not society normal.

But I definitely feel you.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only you know, ultimately, what is best for you. There are those who need to know now and those who don't.

It is indeed a lifelong process, you will meet new people, gay or straight, throughout your life, and a decision about coming out to them will always be part of meeting new people.

Just a fact of life.