1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SlyMiracle, Apr 16, 2013.

1. SlyMiracle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello I'm going to start by introducing myself. My name is Carlos and I'm 16. I'm gay and I'm out to all my friends just recently my parents. My current problem is so bad. I came out to my parents on Friday and lets say it didn't go well. My mom thinks it's all an idea that was planted in my head by other LGBT people at my school and that I'm not really like that. My dad he speaks to me but doesn't give his opinion on anything. Me and my mom had a huge argument and yes I'm going to be honest and say I did bad by telling her she was making me feel like Sh**. I also told her many other things such as if all this time that we spend together meant nothing to her and etc. My mom is telling me that if I don't change my sexual orientation that she's going to leave the house. She has also told me that I should start forgetting about her and that she's dead to me. It's not true I love my mom with all my heart but what can I do when she won't accept me for who I am. Please help! How do I make her understand? Is there a place where we can both get help? I need answers I'm so lost.

2. Canis_Lupus

While she may think its too young to know for sure, a lot of us on here knew when we were that age. She needs to understand that it's not a choice and that it's something you can't change, but if you try shoving it down her throat she'll just reject it. Direct her towards pflag.org, it's a website for support for families and friends of LGBT people.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel for you, Carlos!

You can find help by contacting a PFLAG chapter in Chicago at this site:

PFLAG: Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays

Begin there, I don't know if you can get her to read the materials, but at least start there. There may also be local LGBT organizations where you can get support.

And we are here for you!

Welcome to EC!

4. Lez

Lez

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

5. blue123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello, im sorry to hear how your mum reacted, I can understand how upset you must be feeling at the moment but please remember that you have only just come out to your mum so she may need time to take it in, she may say things that will not be nice but im sure she will love you no matter what, just make sure you stay strong and know that all of EC are here for you. It may take your mum a long time to accept who you are so be patient, I hope all the best to you

6. Cougar

Cougar Guest

Carlos, you are only 16 years old now but suddenly you are the teacher of your mother who tries to explain something to her that she doesn't want to understand, and you are a diplomat who tries to defuse a dangerous situation.

Teachers and diplomats need a lot of patience, but I am confident that you will be successful because your mother will sooner or later understand that it your business whom you love. :icon_wink