1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is coming out too "dangerous"?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by eatsleepclimb, Apr 17, 2013.

1. eatsleepclimb

On Monday, I came out to my parents. They were pretty understanding, but worried that I was going to label myself if I came out to my friends, and they said that I'm too young to decide what I'm going to be or something. They also said that they were scared that my friends wouldn't feel comfortable around me anymore.
    I was wondering if anyone agrees/disagrees? It's not like I want to label myself, I just want to stop hiding and pretending. But do you think it's worth it to come out, or should I wait a few years?
    Thanks so much :slight_smile:

2. funnylion

funnylion Guest

I don't feel you're 'labelling yourself', I think you're actually coming out to 'be' yourself. My opinion is, if they've been friends with you at least as long as you've been a lesbian then they have no reason to feel different about you after you tell them. If you aren't going to change the way you treat them/act around them then if they, for some reason, suddenly don't like you that's their problem.

Congratulations on coming out to your parents and best of luck with your friends!

3. eatsleepclimb

Thanks so much for the advice!

4. theMaverick

I will agree with what was previously said, you are coming out so you can be yourself. There's always a risk that you'll do something like I did and end up back IN the closet, because I wasn't certain, and there's also the whole fluidity of your sexuality, but if you want to come out as gay, do it.

Congratulations!

5. Black Swan

Well done on coming out to your parents. It sounds like they still accept you and care. They are probably just worried about you being bullied, let them know that you want to be yourself around people.

6. TKM

TKM

Congrats on coming out to your parents! My mom said basically the same thing. But on "if coming out is too dangerous?" that's really for you to decide. How are the kids at your school? Are there other kids "out" at your school? Do you think your friends will be excepting? Your parents are just expressing there concern for you, and you need to be able to decifer whether or not it is a legitamate concern. Maybe talk to your friends and see what there opinions are about gay marriage, since it is such a hot topic right now. Also, if you're anything like me you would have already thought about the topics your parents are bringing up. As long as you feel it is safe, then what does it matter what your parents think. And if your friends don't except you it is definitely their loss.

7. eatsleepclimb

Thanks so much for answering! There are about 4 or 5 kids that are out at my school, but I would be the only freshman. It's pretty accepting, which is good, but I think most people just don't know any people who are out so they aren't used to it.
    Thanks for the advice!