1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't be bothered coming out anymore! And I'm really confused about my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sully, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Sully

I'll tackle the parent issue first. Really close to both of them and I'm pretty sure that they'd be accepting, dad in particular tends to accept people's foibles and failings, I'm more nervous about eventually telling him even though I think he'll be fine with it. Mum, is, more rascist at least. However I don't think she is genuinely homophobic. A few years ago a family friend came out to his parents at 21, and mum thought it was great for him a s thought nothing less of him. However we were driving the other day and there was loud music with a heavy beat coming from another car (the kind of stuff young people listen too at the moment), and my mum asked if it was a girl of a guy, it was a girl, my mum said 'I bet she's a lesbian!'.... :/ and she started laughing at her own hilarity...so that's confusing...I guess I'm more just ranting than seeking advice on this issue :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Next and MOST IMPORTANTLY, I've lost all desire to come out! I've told a couple of good friends in the last few weeks and it was all fine, happy happy, no big deal. The whole thing seemed to be a massive anti climax though. Neither of them have really brought it'll again (they're both openly gay), it just seems like a massive non-issue. Which to be honest I would've liked them to grill me and harass me about it a bit, just to get it all out of my system. I suppose they did a bit but I just feel really deflated, to the point of having no interest/desire to come out any more. The whole thing to me just seems like a complete non-issue!

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences?

You know the drill, I rant and you give kind words of support.

2. MixedNutz

Well your parents seem like they'd both be ok. Your mom said that but it doesn't sound like she said it in a derogatory way. Maybe just making herself laugh?

Your friends. If they are both openly gay, they probably knew before you told them. They also probably know the answers to a lot of questions a straight friend may ask. When I told my sister it was a 2 hour long interview. When I told my cousin (who knows me extremely well) he simply said "I figured, if you're happy, I'm happy and ok with it" and that was it. I asked him "is that all? No more questions?" He said nope.

For friends that know you, and are openly gay it probably is a non issue. If you want to talk about it, start asking them questions and maybe they will in turn ask you.

Good luck.

3. Sully

Thanks, as for my friends one of them was completely shocked! He just had no idea. The other, it had crossed he's mind but he said that he'd basically just come to believe I was straight.

Has anyone else just lost the desire to come out?