1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No PDA For LGBT

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ShelBisexual18, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ShelBisexual18

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my school, the LGBT kids cannot hold hands, hug, or kiss their boyfriend or girlfriend. I myself have been a victim of this discrimination. I was told that holding hands with my then-girlfriend was seen as indecent. I made gay pride jeans (I’m bisexual) and wore them to school. Sure, maybe I was asking for trouble, but none of the other kids, wether they were straight, gay, lesbian, bi or transgender, had no issue with my jeans. But some of the teachers who don’t support the LGBT community saw my gay pride jeans as “a cry for attention and a cry for help.” They also reported to my principal that I was holding hands with and kissing my then-girlfriend. I was not given detention or suspended or anything, but nonetheless it made me extremely angry. My argument is that why is it allowed for straight couples to make out and in all other words have sex in the hallway, and no one says a goddamned word, but the minute a same-sex couple even TRIES to hold hands, they get shot down with gay slurs and death stares, just like I was. I feel like its not fair. I don’t know…maybe I’m just making a big deal out of nothing. I just came out fully yesterday that I’m bisexual. The girl I like is amazing and sweet. We held hands yesterday walking to the bus, and held hands at lunch today. Yesterday we held hands the way friends would do it. Today at lunch we held hands the way a couple would. The whole time, my heart was pounding and I was terrified that we would be called all sorts of gay slurs and get dirty looks and possibly even get called down to the principal’s office. I don’t want to cause trouble, but at the same time, I don’t want to hide the fact that I like someone even though they are the same gender. I feel like I shouldn’t have to. At my school, we have a GSA club (Gay Straight Alliance Club) and we have the Day of Silence in honor of the LGBT community who get made fun of at school. I participate in both every year. And now that I publicly came out that I’m bisexual, I feel proud but at the same time, I’m extremely fearful, because what I don’t understand is why is it just fine to have the GSA Club and to have the Day of Silence, and no one makes any gay slurs or anything on that day, but any other time those of us who are in the LGBT community cannot be public about our sexuality and we have to hide? It doesn’t make any sense to me. I want to (and will continue to) hold hands with Avery, (the girl I like) but I will not take the discrimination or pain from this without a fight…:icon_sad:

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I admire your bravery, and your reasons for being brave.

Too easy for too many such "educational" institutions to pay lip service on a "day of silence" and then continue acting the way they do on the other 364 days of the year.

3. AKTodd

You ask 'why'.

Unfortunately, the answer is that lots of straight people are small minded bigots, others are just small minded, and even some of those who 'intellectually' are ok with LGBT people in the abstract (or at least say they are ok) are only ok as long as they don't have to actually witness anything LGBT (so we better just 'remember our place') or that challenges their comfortable preconceptions (a little fem gay guy is ok, a 6'4'' gay Marine who could put them on a slab without even breaking a sweat scares the crap out of them).

The bottom line is that human beings are only partially rational creatures, I'm afraid.

Applause and hat's off to you that you are determined not to take their hypocrisy lying down :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:thumbsup:

Do be careful, but don't let them get you down.

Todd:slight_smile:

4. KnightAssassin

When I had a two week boyfriend ( relationship issue ) we held hands in school and atcually got encoraged moreso by teachers.

5. Hexagon

Surely there are some discrimination laws? Can't you report them?

6. Sully

In my opinion, behaviours like what you've mentioned should be discouraged in schools, (even hand holding). At my school straight couples were not allowed to do it. School IMO is a place primarily for learning and no intimate behaviour should be seen by teachers. Gratuitous kissing etc can just bring around unnecessary awkwardness even if its a straight couple caught. This awkwardness could damage the professional working relationship between you and your teachers, which would in turn damage your education.

I sound like a complete prude :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but in my defence I've never thought like this until I read this post. So it's all your fault XD

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It's a school, not an internment camp.

Why not? They're adults, they should be used to PDA's.
    Sorry, but that's nonsense.

8. I will agree that school is not the best place for kissing, but saying there should be no hugging and hand-holding is a bit much. By your logic, we should ban any social interaction between students, because it would just distract them from learning.