1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Youth Group (Should I Go?)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Geist, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just found this group after it was advised to me from one of the people at my GSA. He said that he used to be a part of it but that it is only for people between 14-20 and since he is now 21 he can't go anymore but he said that it was a good place to make friends. I really want to go, but it is across town (about a 45 min drive) and i am not entirely sure the way. I have found a bus route that would take me directly there, only i have never taken that route and a little worried about going thew a strange neighborhood to go to a place that i don't know very much about.

I have gone online and i do know for a fact that it is legitimate and that it is still exists and has active members. I really really want to meet some more people my age who i know don't care about my sexual orientation. Also I was considering going there right after school tomorrow, but my brothers vehicle just broke down so we have to use the same one. Luckily i will be able to get to use it when i get home, but my mother rarely wants me to leave the house. And while she is fully accepting of who i am she would probably forbid me from going since she is very untrusting of anyplace that groups gay people together and assumes that places like that are random hookup places for gay people.

I'm torn here i have never gone against my mother (well at least not directly) and i really don't want to, but i just have to meet some more people. I haven't told her about and I'm not sure if i will because it could ruin any chance of me going.

I'm not sure. Should i go? if so should i talk with my mom about it risking further isolation, or lie about where i am going or just say i am staying late at school and work out a deal with my brother.

2. justjoshoh

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. On that note, though, perhaps you could alleviate some of your mother's assumed fears by offering a compromise. Maybe contact the group coordinator, in advance, ask if your mother can scope out the group on the first meeting.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I agree with Josh. I think its great that you want to respect your Mom and her wishes but you somehow have to convey to her how important it is for you to meet other people your own age who are gay.

4. Louise

I think it would be a very good idea for you to get out a bit and meet new people in a controlled environement. Can you phone the organisers and see if there is a member who lives close to you so that you could meet them beforehand and travel there with this person instead of travelling alone through an area that you don't know?

As for your mum, if you want her to trust you you have to be honest, having said that your mum has to treat you like a young adult and give you a bit of freedom.

Before rushing into anything I would have some serious discussions with your mum about how isolated you feel, how much you need to meet other people your own age. Once she accepts this then you can mention this club, maybe give her some information about it; address, telephone, the name of the organiser, how long this club has been running, etc.

If the club is exclusively for 14 - 20 year olds it is difficult to see it as a hookup joint, you should point this out to your mum, this is not a gay nightclub. In your shoes I would use the word association rather than club, this will be less confusing and less scary for your mum.

You know she only wants to protect you from the big bad world, your mum is worried for you, it is down to you to calm her fears so that she will give you a bit more freedom without you having to lie and sneak around behind her back.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

5. RENThead

do you have a friend who would go to the group with you?
    maybe your mum wouldnt feel as bad if she knew you werent going to this new place alone...