1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having.a hard time

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lipsticklesbian, Apr 20, 2013.

1. lipsticklesbian

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I AM 26 years old and have always liked girls but tried the men route. Its always grossed me out. I kept trying for years to fit in the bisexual route. But it is hard to finally come out as what I like is women. I know I am a lesbian but how do I tell my friends? My family?? My family are very conservative. I am quite scared.

2. kibeth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not out at all so don't take my advice too seriously, but this is what I'm planing to do about my (very conservative) parents.
    With your family: Perhaps you could try the taking it slow route: Comment on gay and lesbian couples and just make it obvious that you support peoples' right to love whoever they want. Hinting at you liking women without being provocative. After this I'll suggest having a calm sit down and explain it to them. Also be prepared to give them time to get used to it and think about questions they might have (about past boyfriends, how long you've known, if you have someone special now, etc.)
    Also remember that the love in a family is unconditional and even if it might be a shock or whatever, they'll get over it and still love you for who you are.
    Friends are usually at lot more open minded and accepting... You could probably just hint at it a few times or just say it and they'll be fine with it.
    Good luck!!

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I am sorry you are having a tough time, I was 26 when I came out but I was very lucky that all of my friends and family were very accepting. Are you out to anyone at all?

4. Sayu

Congratulations for being honest with yourself :slight_smile: Now, I would start with a friend that you know is accepting :slight_smile: Don't worry, most of people aren't that conservative and sometimes even a conservative family can surprise you with their reaction (just go through a few coming out stories here on EC) :slight_smile: Fingers crossed! (*hug*)

5. Tropical Turtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm kind of in the same situation as you. All my first relationships were with guys. One long distance relationship lasted for a few years on and off but I'd always felt I was attracted to women to. I was quite happy to think of myself as bi before I'd tried anything with a woman.

The middle of last year I met a woman through a friend of a friend and we got talking and despite neither of us being out at the time both kind of told each other. Think it was the first time either of us had said it. Things happened after that and I was still happy to call myself bi - I even told a few close friends about the relationship and started mentioning her at work.

We also lived quite a bit away from each other and the relationship kind of fizzled out because of not being able to see each other. Toward the end, and in the time since, I've only found women attractive. I haven't looked twice at a single man to the point now that I kind of think it's maybe more honest coming out as a lesbian than as being bi.

My parents aren't conservative but they make comments sometimes that make me worry about telling them - I also worry about the reaction I'd get from the older generation. Tried to tell them when I saw them yesterday but just couldn't get the words out.

If you're not out to anyone yet then my advice would be to start with a friend - someone to discuss your worries with and support you when you need it. I've felt that's helped a lot. Always kind of felt guilty that I hadn't come out when I was younger so good to see a couple of people say they are / were 26. Very nearly that age. Good luck!