1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hhj399, Apr 21, 2013.

1. hhj399

hhj399 Guest

So basically I'm deciding whether or not I should come out to my parents. I haven't come out to anyone yet but I think two of my family friends and my mum's uncle's girlfriend and her friend think I'm gay.

I'm pretty sure that my parents (especially my dad) are homophobic because they have made negative comments about gay people before. There is chance that my parents could suspect that I might not be straight because one night I got into an argument with my parents and grandparents when they were saying homophobic stuff.

I don't really want to tell my sister because she has a big mouth and she would tell someone and my brother because he is too young to understand. At the moment the only people in my family who I would feel 100% comfortable telling would be my auntie and uncle.

Should I come out to my parents or just wait until I finish school and move out?

2. The Dude

This is really tough and I'm not really in a position to give you valid advice.

If you think there is a chance of getting kicked out or losing their financial support, then I wouldn't. However, if you think they'd still support you but just be disappointed maybe it would be worth it.

Do you have any friends you could talk to? Maybe one of those family friends or something? Maybe start with an easier person/people than your parents? Do you think you could wait until you moved out?

These are really just some things to consider I guess. I'm sure someone will come along with better advice, but in the meantime you have some questions to think about.

Good luck to you, I hope it works out, whatever it is that you do.

3. Sayu

Do you have some friends that you know are accepting of LGBT? If yes, I would start with them, because they can support if you're having a rough time. Maybe try and say something about gay people in front of your parents to bring the topic up. Fingers crossed! (*hug*)

4. hhj399

hhj399 Guest

Thanks for the replies. I know my parents wouldn't kick me out, they would probably be annoyed and/or disappointed. I'll probably tell one of my family friends or school friends that I know will definitely be accepting.

5. Jeff

I suggest waiting until you are 18 or 19 and have finished school and have moved out.

Simple, they do not need to know, nor do they deserve to know.