1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by valon, Apr 21, 2013.

1. valon

valon Guest

Hi, I'm Valon, kinda new here. So, I've come out to my brother, and he's mostly okay with it, and he supports gay-marriage, and all that jazz. The only thing he kind of struggles with is, because he's a Christian, of whether gay-behavior is right or wrong. Which I'm somewhat fine with, because he knows that I didn't choose this and it's not unnatural or anything dumb. So, I guess at the moment you could call him Side B. GCN people know what I mean.

Anyways... on to my parents. Well, as I said, my brother's a christian. And, so are they. But, they're much worse. They're super conservative and homophobic to the MAX. My dad rants about gays a lot. And, my mom is worse on the inside, but more silent. :tantrum:

I'm still in highschool and want to come out, but I'm terrified. I know they'll have a negative reaction. But, I know they love me enough to continue loving me, regardless, and would never cut me off or kick me out. So, I'm a little torn.

I want to come out to them now, because EVERY SINGLE DAY, I think about it multiple times a day, and it kills me to know that they won't be accepting. But, I also think it won't be good, because of all the stress my family's already under.

My dad's in the hospital for his MS and he'll be there for a while, and my mom is super stressed and doing so much. I would be best for my family and safer if I came out after I went to college and when things have cooled down.

But, I don't know if I can take another year of this torture. I don't know what I should do.

Please help.:help:

2. Sayu

Some people say there is never a good time to come out, but maybe you could wait a little more, until your dad gets better. On the other hand, if not being out bothers you that much, you could come out sooner. It seems like you will have some rough time no matter when you come out, so if you are ready for it, just come out and you'll probably feel better.

It's up to you. Fingers crossed (*hug*)

3. TheMightyBoosh

Ive come out about being gender-queer to my mom yesterday :icon_eek: ---- it was killing me on the inside keeping it a secret, i didn't really go into detail. And also i guess i am bi or pansexual. :confused2: I know it's not exactly the same as you'd be coming out as gay, but i know how hard it is and i am still dealing with it, my mom was saying some rather horrible, ignorant stuff about gays, lesbians, bi's, ect ect the other day and that made me more reluctant to tell her as i know on the inside she is very homophobic... :icon_sad: and so is my dad-- (not my real dad but he's the closest thing i have had to a dad) I advice you to come out... i know it's hell. I know the feelings and i know your scared but you deserve to be happy. I wish you the best and hope your dad will be okay, the reaction may not be exactly what you expect or maybe exactly what you expect but the sooner the better. I hope everything goes well for you. There are always going to be people who don't accept it and can be quite cruel but f*ck them!! :***: :slight_smile: They are not worth it and you'll find most people will be accepting especially friends. Good luck and i hope i have helped a bit. :goodluck: YOU DESERVE TO BE HAPPY (*hug*)

4. Sunshine Cries

First off, DEFINITELY come out to them. But not now.
    It's a really good thing that your parents will still love you no matter what; that's definitely a safety net in coming out that you're VERY lucky to have.
    However, if your dad is in treatment for MS (good luck to him, by the way; I hope he becomes and remains healthier) then there's already so much stress on your family that, if coming out will aggravate them, wait.
    Believe me, I know how you feel. I just want you, and everyone else on this website, to be as safe as possible. :slight_smile:

~Sunshine

---------- Post added 21st Apr 2013 at 01:35 PM ----------

First off, DEFINITELY come out to them. But not now.
    It's a really good thing that your parents will still love you no matter what; that's definitely a safety net in coming out that you're VERY lucky to have.
    However, if your dad is in treatment for MS (good luck to him, by the way; I hope he becomes and remains healthier) then there's already so much stress on your family that, if coming out will aggravate them, wait.
    Believe me, I know how you feel. I just want you, and everyone else on this website, to be as safe as possible. :slight_smile:

~Sunshine

5. valon

valon Guest

Well, kinda... haha. I think I'm gay, but I don't know. Many times, I feel a VERY strong sexual type attraction to women. But, not too often. So, I might be bi, but I don't know, because most of the time, it's men. So, maybe sexuality is more fluid than we think it is. :eusa_danc