1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTM help!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Teagan, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Teagan

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Totally new to this, so here goes...

Over the past year or so I've been slowly realizing that I'm trans and I think I've nearly accepted it. I've taken small, gradual steps to make myself feel more like myself (stopping shaving legs, etc.) and my mum has noticed. She keeps asking why I don't wear earrings anymore, and I desperately want to tell her why so I can start making bigger changes but I'm just so worried about it. Every time she and I are alone I can't stop thinking 'I need to tell her, she'll know what to do' but I can't bring myself to do it.

I know she'll be okay with it, she's said before in jest that she was slightly disappointed that neither my brother or I were gay, and she's a nurse so is very open minded.
    I think it's because she's so good at sorting things out that I worry she'll try and get it done A.S.A.P. and I'm not sure I'm completely ready for that yet. I still have this sort of nagging worry that it's just a phase that I'm going through, but so many things that I've said, done, or thought before in my life make so much sense now...

I suppose that I'm just asking for a bit of advice as to whether I should come out yet or leave it for a bit longer.

Thanks.

2. Sayu

Hmm, it looks like she really is very open minded... How old are you, if I can ask? If you want to come out to her and you're sure she will be ok with it, then do it :slight_smile: Maybe (if you're still not completely sure) don't use the word "trans", just start by telling her that you've come to a realization that you feel more like a male and that you would like to try and wear some men's clothes, get a short haircut, etc (if you don't already do/have that :grin:). That it could help you find out who you are. Also, she could go with you on a therapy (or you could go alone) where they would help you find out if you're a trans or if this is just some phase/it's not definite.

Fingers crossed! (*hug*)

3. Teagan

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 19 but I'm an apprentice so I have a very small income and still rely a lot on my parents. I already have a short haircut (told her the hairdresser cut it shorter than I asked) and I've always worn clothes intended for women but that are on the more masculine end of the scale and I've never willingly worn makeup. She has asked a few times if I'm a lesbian probably because of this.

Thanks for your response, I probably need to mull it over for a bit longer and try to sum up the courage to talk to her about it :slight_smile: