1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My orientation seems to be causing a problem or several

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Helen, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

So I decided to finally let some of my friends know that I'm bisexual. Well, namely one of them, but others overheard. I wanted to see what would happen if I was actually honest with people. The people I've spoken to directly tell me they're fine with it, but a) I don't think they're being totally honest with me, b) I haven't really spoken to many people yet.

I know they're all talking about me, because something like this *always* gets tongues wagging at my school. According to a friend who's alright with it, they're all talking about me as if I have some disease or something, and some people are making up rumours about me to go alongside the whole 'bisexual' thing.

I don't mean to appear so feeble, but this really does make me miserable, and I just wish I lived somewhere a bit more accepting. Any ideas what I should do to either stop the rumours, or just become oblivious to it all, because I just can't ignore it at the moment.

2. Louise

(*hug*) (*hug*) You can't stop the rumours and yes they are very hurtful but people love a 'scandle'. The only thing you can do is talk to Lucy, see if she can help you through this. Just having someone to talk to can help.

This is probably not what you want to hear but unfortunately you are going to have to arm yourself against this sort of thing because you are going to come across this sort of thing throughout your whole life.

We are here to help you through this, you are not alone.(*hug*)

3. CerahWright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well...i wish i knew what to say. I go to a school where things like this start people talking too. I"m completely out so my situation is different. I expect people to have issues with it my school (I had to come out to my religion teacher b/c of an assignment he gave the class- talk about akward *how do you spell akward, i never spell it right*) The only thing I can tell is do what your comfortable with. I don't think, as lovely as it would be to do so, I don't think you can become oblivious to it. I mean you know that people are talking, you can't just forget that fact.

And your not feeble. It's a crappy situation to have to be in. I live in a very un-accepting neighborhood/city, so understand your want to live elsewhere. Talk to your friends, thats what helped me through it. After awhile people will stop talking b/c something new will have come up.

4. Helen

Helen Guest

Thanks a lot, I'll talk to my friends, and Lucy while she's still here (she boards in the UK for most of the time). There is a bit of an issue concerning my actual location, because I live in a Muslim country. I completely understand if my Islamic friends don't agree with me, it's just the other homophobic expatriates who concern me. I suppose it's one way of telling who my real friends are.

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Hello! And welcome to EC!!

I'd agree that you're not feeble - don't think for a moment that you are. And also don't think that any of us will ever judge you that way.

As for the rumours - you can't really stop them, but what you can do is maybe ask those friends you are closest to and trust to try and stand up for you whenever the topic of you comes up when you're not there? If you're lucky, everyone will soon forget and you'll stop being the topic of conversation. But I would recommend explicitly asking people to counteract these other rumours for you, and also for you to continue to just be yourself, and show them that you're completely normal - not diseased or anything (sometimes all people need is to *know* someone who's LGBT for them to realise that they're not weird or freaky or whatever).

But good luck, and I hope the rumours stop. :slight_smile:

6. Zoe7022

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I hope your friends will support you. Im not sure about Kuwait (Or is Dubai in the UAE?), but in the US some laws have been interpreted to mean schools must act on reported harassment. I suggest that you also learn self defense. Good luck.

7. Vampyrecat

Well, one thing I can tell you now, if all people can see is that you're bisexual, then they're really not worth your time.

However. As you said, you live in a muslim country and it is probably not wise to be totally defenceless. Have you told either or both of your parents? any siblings? I would try to go around with a friend or adult with you at all times just in case someone goes nuts and decides to be really horrible to you.
    Have you talked to a counsellor or someone you trust at school? there may be a PFLAG organisation in Dubai (unlikely, but still possible), which may be able to help you out.

Hope this helps. Contact Heatqueen (Lucy), cos she'll be able to help you more then I can.

feel free to PM me though if you need to.

8. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, the Dubai-is-homophobic-and-it's-causing-me-issues thread.

I can assure you you're not alone. I can prove it to you because someone came out to me as a lesbian over facebook (who lives in Dubai) (I won't tell you who, for discretion).

It really sucks that your school gets pleasure out of making rumours about you. Obviously not everyone is going to be ok with your orientation, but think about it: who are your *real* friends? Because those are the ones that matter, not the people who use bisexuality as an excuse to create gossip.

If it's a case of "I thought he/she was my friend but he/she's one of the people creating rumours", that is very sad that they can't be supportive or at least accepting of your sexuality. It might be hard to admit, but those kinds of people aren't real friends, despite how close you might have been before you came out.

If you wanna talk, call me or something (Or call our other bi friend whose name I won't disclose on a forum but you know who I mean) because we both get what you're going through. This is why I haven't come out at school yet.

Hope everything gets better at school. (*hug*)

9. Helen

Helen Guest

I reckon it'll have died down by the time I go back to school, and hopefully I won't stay in Dubai much longer. I might be going back to the UK for my sixth form years, so the whole 'muslim country' thing might not be an issue for very long, especially as I'm only 15, and very unlikely to be involved in a relationship while I'm here. Thanks a lot, everyone, this has got to be the nicest & most helpful forum I've ever been on ^_^

10. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I'm glad you'll soon be coming back to the UK, which although not devoid of homophobia (definately not!!) does, at least, give protection in law. Plus schools by law have to prevent homophobic bullying now I believe anyway, so hopefully it'll be a bit easier to be out than it is in Dubai.

And yes, people on here are friendly, aren't they? Stick around!! :slight_smile:

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, the UK is way better for sexuality and stuff. I'm not planning on any relationships in Dubai, but in the UK, SURE!! lol. But not at my current school (Cos they're weird lol and I don't like anyone there).

Definitely stick around, this forum is my life-saver!!

12. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Hey, Hln D: I guess the only way to get over these rumours is just to wait them out. They'll die down eventually. It's what teenage life is made of :wink: