1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out To Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KariGordon1996, Apr 23, 2013.

1. KariGordon1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I've grown up in a strict Baptist home my whole life and I've known that I am a lesbian for quite a while now. I'm out to a few friends but I would really like to come out to my family. My mom finds gay people "disturbing and sickening" as she has said before and my family always cracks jokes about homosexuals. I was thinking about telling my sisters and brother first but I'm really nervous and need some advice on how to tell my parents as well. I almost know for a fact that my mom and dad will disown me, should I wait another year until I can support myself on my own in case things go bad? I just hate hiding such a big part of my life from them. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. Hitch

Yes, if you cannot support yourself and you feel as though they would kick you then you really need to wait. Just wait until you can support yourself, and in the meantime, you can post here and vent to us if you need to.

#2 Hitch, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. JustARaconteur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kari,

I grew up in a very strict southern baptist home. My parents were heavily involved in church and made me be, too. I didn't come out to them, but when I was 16 I was found out (this was about 12 years ago). They screamed at me, yelled at me, told me I was "choosing this lifestyle" and eventually sent me off to a church camp to "fix" me. In short, I had to make the decision to go back into the closet and do a lot of church related stuff to make peace. Two years later when I went to college things got better, but now I'm 28 and still not totally repaired from it.

My advice, from experience, is to wait.