1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you want kids when you grow up?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by davo-man, Dec 12, 2006.

1. davo-man

I was just wondering about whether the majority or minority of gay people want kids when they grow up? Personally i dont want kids...however i would loathe the idea of the government taking away the right for gay people to have kids (adopted or otherwise)...What are your opinions on the subject; do you want kids, or would you rather not have any?

2. tired_of_lying411

this has NOTHING to do with my sexuality AT ALL, but no, I do not want kids. I just don't see my life going in that direction. Call me selfish, but I like nice things, and would rather spend that money on my lifestyle. And I dont really see myself as the best parent, either... and I think i would have some serious anger-management issues with a kid long term (im a terrific baby sitter, though :icon_bigg )

I consider it only an added bonus that my not having children would mean one less child to have the added stigma of gay parents on their shoulders. Hopefully that won't even be an issue by the then, but let's be realistic...

This will be an interesting thread to keep watch on...

3. misterdinkles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I DEFINITELY want children..hahaha...I've always hoped my life would be similar to that of any other regular family except.....the wife would be replaced with a guy hahahaha...but yes, the potential problems that the child would have to deal with is really discouraging =X...I'm not sure what life a kid with gay parents would be like, but I only think of bad things when I start pondering about it...

4. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Well to be honest I really do want to have a kid or two. The thought of not being able to start up a family is really what made being gay something which was hard for me to accept. I always envisaged myself with kids later down the line, always been good with kids (especially my nephews) and so it seemed logical.

However, at the moment it's illegal for a gay couple to adopt in the UK and I don't see myself surogetting... so it rather leaves me without options.

Hopefully things will change in the future, but until then I just need to find myself a nice man to settle down with!!!

Jamie

5. Bryan90

YES! definitely. Even at the age of 16, I desperately want to have a kid or two; call it survival instinct.

I've even thought of silly names for my future kids.. LOL... I've actually thought about the whole gay thing, but figured that adopting is not going to be an issue for me. :icon_bigg

6. Sam

Sam

I'm not really sure if I want kids or not. Sometimes I see a baby and think I want one but then other times I think I don't. I don't think I would be a good parent.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Kids have never interested me (indeed young kids tend to irritate me), so I have no desire to have any of my own. So for me the fact that I can't have kids doesn't bother me at all.

8. step49x

At this point, I don't want kids. Will I ever? I can't say. Right now, I'm having enough 'fun' trying to find other gay guys... :dry:

Let's just say, it's not a priority right now.

9. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Oh, I DEFINITELY want kids. And, although the "problems" the kid might have to face could be difficult, wouldn't adopting a child away from abusive parents or parents who couldn't support their child be much much better than if that child had stayed, even if there might be some potential issues with the whole gayness factor? And, even if I did decide to go with the surrogate option, isn't giving a child life worth a few playground problems?

I don't know, I just feel that if a single man or woman can adopt/raise a child, a loving gay couple should be able to do the same.

10. GuitarGirl1350

I do not want kids. Although I love watching kids, and love being around them, I lack the maternal instincts nessacary to care for one of my own. (I'd kill the bugger by the time he was 5.) I'm also very mercurial and easily iritated- not good parental qualities. I also don't want something to depend on me for it's life. I'm not 100 averse to the idea, but I know I wouldn't be a caring and kind enough parent because I don't want to be. I'm about 99.8 percent averse to it. I'll be fine with a dog to care for. My dream in life is(and has been for a while) to fall in love with my soulmate and live in a ranch house on several acres with a collie dog. Kids never factored into it.
    But I'm absolutely against parental rights being taken away from gay people...

11. tired_of_lying411

I couldn't agree more, GuitarGirl. Except, the ranch on a few acres is more like a swanky, downtown apartment and the dog is a maltese or similar..:icon_smil

I don't want kids for THEIR sake.. perhaps more than mine, hahahaha

12. I don't see myself having kids. But sometimes I feel like I should, just to balance out the population. It seems like most of the people having kids these days are people I shudder to imagine ruling the world -- and if their kids are dominating the world scene in future generations, I just can't imagine the world progressing to a better place. But the problem w/ that idea is that it presupposes that my kids will adopt my values and beliefs. And we all know that doesn't always happen.

13. GuitarGirl1350

LOL Brenton, yous a city slicker. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I could never live in a downtown apartment, no matter how swanky...lol. Maltese dogs are cute though. Hehe.
    But I will have my collie named Talledega...that I've wanted...since I was a litle girl...teehee.

14. Rain33

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I dont want kids and i doubt i will change my opinion but it will all depend on the person i end up with

15. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Talledega...teehee. You're like my parents GuitarGirl, they also want to live in the country and love NASCAR. Unless of course you aren't referring to the racetrack, which, knowing my extremely poor powers of interpretation, is entirely possible.

I personally would love to live in a townhome, either in a quiet part of a North American town, or in a segment of a European city with large amounts of old-world town. I know, specific right? Although I'd probably end up in cookie-cutter house in the suburbs...but as long as I can retire to a cottage on the Amalfi coast in Italy, I'm happy. :dry:

16. kevinx519

im sure i want kids in the future. but sometimes i get worried that my kids could end up hating me for the fact of being gay. but the thought of taking care of a kid is no problem whatsoever. as for living conditions, my dream would be to move to hawaii with my partner and spend my time at the beach in the water. *sigh* thatd be so perfect.:icon_bigg

17. Rainbow Starlite

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have never been around a child, never held a baby, have no siblings, etc... no friends with kids... so generally NO. I also have a terror of medical procedure and would never ever be willing to give birth. My gf has a medical condition that is genetic and fairly serious, so she doesn't want to pass her stuff on either... so... for us probably not. My dogs take up much of my house, time, money, and energy, and I don't want to change that either.

18. GuitarGirl1350

of course i'm referring to the racetrack!!! I lLOVE NASCAR!!!!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

I don't really like kids...so no, they are not really in the plan.

20. Astra Moon

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, As a child, I always dreamed of living on the beach...with the GIRL I martied. (My mother always thought it was strange that I imagined myself marrying a girl, now she knows why! xD) As for having children, that's also been another dream of mine...It'sunlikely that I'll have children naturally because of a health issue, but I've always dreamed of adopting.