1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for coming out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alucard18, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Alucard18

I'm coming out to my parents soon. My sister will be home soon and since I know she will support me I'm going to ask her for advice. But until then, I wanted to get some early advice. My mom will most likely be supportive as she tells me that she will love me no matter what but I'm afraid she may tell the family too early and I'm honestly not sure about my dad as he's never said anything on the subject or seems to avoid it. I need to tell them before I start college in the fall because I'll be living at home and I plan to meet a guy while I'm at college. Any tips?

2. Hefiel

Test the water with your dad if you're worried about his reaction. There's plenty of opportunities as of late to drive the discussion towards homosexuality with all the news worldwide on same-sex marriage, gay scouts, etc.

As far as you not wanting your parents to tell your family, that's something you can discuss with your parents when you come out to them.

3. Alucard18

Unfortunately my mom doesn't know when to stop talking and she tends to let things slip in the middle of a conversation. For example she's talked about my friend's problems to my family even when I told her to keep it quiet. Soo.....:help:

4. Hefiel

My mother is the same as well, but she somehow managed to keep it a "secret" until maybe late last week when they asked if they could tell my sister. At this stage, I don't really care who knows about it at this point since I'm "open" about it.

Note: I've put secret in-between quotation marks because I have a feeling she may have told a lesbian coworker, but I haven't pushed too much to find out. Figured she probably wanted to know a few things about homosexuality and she turned to someone who could answer those questions unknowing how (un)comfortable I'd be to answer them.

5. madi

It may help to rehears in the mirror or just in your head exactly what you want to say and how to your parents. I know that helped me a lot. I kind of like to plan everything out though. I said over and over again what I wanted to tell them so when I did it I didn't have to search for the right words or worry about it coming out wrong. It helped give me confidence that it would come across the right way. Idk if it would help you, but it did me.

6. Alucard18

Thanks I'll try that. I told my sister and she's fully supportive. She said she would be there with me when I tell them so it's somewhat easier.

7. madi

I'm happy for you that you have someone to support you. I had a boyfriend at the time that I came out who was 100% supportive and I know it really helped me to have someone backing me up and cheering me on.

8. erik22

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have the same problem my man. I plan on coming out to my parents soon as well, but my mom is talkative as hell. I hope everything works out