1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting it off... Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lexi, Apr 26, 2013.

1. lexi

lexi Guest

I'm thinking maybe I should put off my "coming out..."

I was hoping to do it this spring, get it all off my chest then I'd have all summer to relax about it, but.. I'm thinking about waiting until fall. Then just comming back to school as bisexual, like a fresh start.

The main reason I don't want to come out right now, is that one of my "friends" is basically trying to turn all my real friends against me and start all this drama. The only reason that I've made it through this month is my best friend, so I'm afraid that if I tell her, I'll lose her. I can't lose any more friends right now.

I think I'll just enjoy prom, then build up my friendships over the summer, and come back next fall as a new person for senior year.

I'm afraid though- ive been putting it off for several months now..what if I just put it off again? Until my birthday? until christmas? Until semester 2? Until graduation? Until I start college? Until I graduate college? I know I feel overwhelmed now, but won't I always? Won't there always be something holding me back?

Basically, should I get it over with, or wait and hope for a good time to come?

2. wrhla

wrhla Guest

Do what makes you comfortable. If you want to wait until fall, that's fine. Just don't keep putting it off forever. Sooner or later you just gotta do it.

I know you can.

3. alex408

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lexi,

There are a million ways to go about dealing with your "friend". I wouldn't worry about her all that much. Unless you have done something unspeakable and it so happens to be true resulting in the loss of more friends. If you did do something horrific, you'd be surprised how at how many people out there are willing to give their friends or loved ones a second chance. If this is not you then don't pay any attention to her. If you want to do some damage control, you could let your current friends know about her ahead of time.

Now about coming out:

Coming out is a Rite of Passage for LGBT persons and should be celebrated. What you gain from coming out is a beautiful thing. So you should come out whenever you are ready.

I'm interested to know, if its ok with you, the reason(s) you might want to come out. Just out of curiosity really.

-Alex

4. BriannaBanana

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come out when you feel comfortable with it. I "put off" coming out for over a year before I switched schools, made new friends, built up trust, and felt safe coming out. :slight_smile: