1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to Christian parents, or should I come out at all?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DarkAthena, Apr 26, 2013.

1. DarkAthena

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :confused: I married my husband four weeks ago, and I came out as bisexual to him and two of my friends the week before our wedding and I felt so free. But I'm a Christian and I was raised by two very strict, strong Christian parents, both of whom have cut themselves off from people in our family who are either gay or lesbian. I'm afraid that if I tell them I'm bisexual they'll cut me off completely, and that my siblings will do the same. One of my friends said because I married a man, I don't have to tell them, but that still feels dishonest to me. I love my family and I don't want to lose them, so should I just not tell them? At the same time, I don't like myself for being so afraid because I'm all about free expression and equality. :/
    Advice on this subject is much appreciated.

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I think at this point in your life, since you're financially independent and on your own, that if you feel that it's time to come out- do it. I can't say the reaction will be pleasant but make it clear- your life, you've always been this way, you were born like this and if they won't accept you, then it's all them, not you.

3. RainbowMan

^^ this.

If you're comfortable with yourself, and losing your family isn't an unsafe thing to do, I say do it. That might sound cold and callous, but it really isn't. You need to live YOUR life the way that you want to. If that involves being out as bi to your family, so be it.

If they cut ties with you, that's their loss.

4. Incognito10

If they've cut people out of their life, to include family members, you very well may have your answer. Also, consider that you are their child so the dynamics may be very different and they may evolve over time to be more accepting.

It may sound trite, but hope for the best but prepare for the worst.