1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell my Mum?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fionnlagh, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Fionnlagh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am planning on coming out to my Mum soon but I don't know how I will tell her. Telling friends was easy and they took it really well but my parents are very religious and I've even heard my step dad (who I rarely get on with) complain when he saw two boys kissing in public and his reaction made me feel uncomfortable in that he may try to impose that view on to my Mum. It's really only my Mum I want to feel accepted by because I'm never going to get along with my step dad regardless of my sexuality. A friend has suggested I write a short coming out letter to her so that she may then pass it on to him if she wants but would this be too impersonal?

2. MancGal90

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i told my mum I'm a lesbian nearly 2 years ago, it was hard telling her but in the end i just blurted it out and left her be, it took her a while to come to terms with it, but she's ok with it now, my mum told her boyfriend who i think doesn't believe her or me, as he keeps saying i'm going to find a nice guy and get married and have kids, but if you're scared of telling your mum and step dad then write the letter explaning what you feel and that you are gay, hope this helps

3. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    I told my mom i was gay a couple of weeks ago.I was thinking about it for days,first i pretended she was infront of me and i had some practice on telling her how i feel.So one day we were sitting just me and her on the couch and i told her ''Mom,i have to tell you something but ..its too difficult to me''.She started to ask me questions,and after a couple of questions she said ''Is it about your sexual orientation?''.I nodded and explained everything to her,at first i told her that im the same person she loves,im her son and because im gay it doesnt mean that im not her son.She told me that she somehow knew it,maybe because of the way i talk or my reactions to some things..My advice is that you should do it now that you feel ready,if youre not sure enough,then force it a little.Because now you have the opportunity.A note would be very bad because this is something important and personal just for you and her.
    Also i have a father who is homophobic and he hates gays,he always insults them and talks bad at them all the time..it makes me feel awkward and really bad,so im planning to never tell him the truth...i wish you the best luck,and if you have any more questions about the topic,dont be afraid to ask me :slight_smile: