1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell my religious parents I'm atheist and bi?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nerdfighter7437, Apr 27, 2013.

1. nerdfighter7437

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a bisexual athiest liberal 14-year-old with Southern Baptist conservative parents. If I came out to them about being bi, they would ask me all sorts of religious questions, so I would have to come out about my atheism, too. It's very likely that they would either attempt to "cure" me or kick me out. They occasionally mention that homosexuality is a sin, I should not befriend homosexuals because they are bad influences along with drug users and gang members, and don't seem to acknowledge that bisexuality. It's very unlikely that they would physically abuse me, but there is a slight possibly that I might get slapped. I am very close to a family which lives within walking distance of my house. They would probably be willing to provide a place for me to stay if I was kicked out. Would they be able to, or would I be sent to live in a foster home? My parents have set up a bank account for me. Would I be able to access it an withdraw the money? If I waited a few months until I was fifteen, would the legal aspects be any easier to deal with? Should I come out to them, or wait until I am capable of financially supporting myself?

Feeling stranded.

2. nerdfighter7437

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also, can you edit a post after posting it? "and don't seem to acknowledge bisexuality" should be "and don't seem to acknowledge that bisexuality exists." Sorry for being such a noob, I just made this account about an hour ago.

3. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    Well, You said you're 14. There's no rush to come out. Maybe you could get into a conversation about LGBT things and casually lead into bisexuality and what they think of it. I, personally, would come out to a few friends before your parents, but that's just me. Remember - No rush. :wink:

As for the aetheism thing, that's a bit tricky... The best way/what I would do would be to write a letter to your parents.

:goodluck:

#3 DannyBoi66, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, at this point, I'd say wait. At least until you can survive on your own. Not sure what will happen at 15, but it's almost certainly not enough.

I'd even be careful about talking about atheism...many conservative Christians would hate hearing that as much as hearing their son is gay.

As for editing your post, it's possible for a few minutes only. There will be button down by the "Quote" button.

#4 BMC77, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  5. nerdfighter7437

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess my idea that it's almost always better to tell your parents as soon as possible is kind of silly. Thanks for responding!

6. Hexagon

I did exactly that when I was 14. I said: "I'm bisexual and an atheist". In retrospect, a letter might have been better.

7. magic

i dont know if this will help or not but there is a podcast called "the thinking atheist" and they have an episode about coming out as an atheist i have not heard it yet so i dont know if it will be any help.

8. Bitech

Don't. You're only 14/15. Wait a few years until you finish highschool/go off to college/can support yourself in case anything happens.

I know it's hard living a lie, but just put up with it for a few more years until you are mature enough to make the right decisions.

9. lexcat

lexcat Guest

Definitely wait. I'm 18 and still haven't come out to mine... even though they're definitely more accepting.

It would be really hard in your situation, and it will muster up a lot of courage to tell them but wait a few years before going to college and let their mind settle on it. Or at least wait until you're 18 when you can access your own bank account and maybe afford a place to live. Also, the atheism thing would be a double whammy, I suggest not doing both at the same time either.

Best of luck to you.

10. wrhla

wrhla Guest

It seems pretty unanimous. I would lie low about all of this until you're a little older and more independent, unless it's eating you up in a way you can't live with.