1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can atheist parents be homophobic?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gibson234, Apr 29, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am thinking about coming out to my parents in the near future. They are both non-religious so I know they won't reject me because they think god hates gay people or something like that. But I never really heard them talk about LGBT issues or anything. My dad when ever we watch a football match(soccer to Americans) will describe a player who dives as "gay". I don't know if that means he's homophobic or if he doesn't mean anything by it. My parents usually seem like accepting people but I need them to get me though university so it's not worth risking it even if it's a small chance of them not supporting me. Do you guys think I should just come out or wait in till university or something? Am I just being over cautious?

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They can - there are more motivations for homophobia than just religious ones.

Have you brought up LGTB issues to them (without coming out)? Just to hear their opinion.

While using 'gay' as an insult is somewhat homophobic, a lot of people do it simply because they haven't thought about it, rather than out of an intent to denigrate people. I'd go more from what they have to say about LGTB issues, personally.

3. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never really bought up LGBT issues but I never really had the opportunity but I might try and squeeze it in somewhere. Thanks for your response :slight_smile:

4. Hefiel

Atheists tends to be more open-minded, but they're not immune to poor judgement and misinformed opinions.

If you're unsure about your parents views on homosexuality, well you'll have to find an opportunity to test the waters. If your family watches a lot of News shows and they discuss Gay Marriage for example, well that could be an opportunity to ask the question. That's one possibility amongst many others.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of course! Parents expect grandchildren and most believe a gay child will deny them grandchildren.

6. Hot Pink

This isn't true. Gay parents can still adopt. Gibson could arrange something with a woman to be artificially inseminated with his sperm. Point is that there are ways for gay people to have kids.

7. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, although there is probably a lower chance of them being homophobic

8. Hot Pink

To answer the op: yes, it is possible that atheists can be homophobic. I wouldn't believe that atheists are any more open-minded than anyone else. That's coming from an atheist.

9. Lamonia

Lamonia Guest

Yes atheists can be homophobic. I think that was one of the reasons I started to feel maybe religion is man made, cause it was whatever the majority 'instinctively' felt is right. Religion just sanctified the opinion to not be objective anymore. I think anyways I am not sure.

Your dad saying that's gay doesn't mean much, a lot of people say all sort of things about being gay, till they are faced with someone dear to them being actually gay. But you need to judge for yourself what is the worse scenario that could happen, and assess if it's worth the risk.

10. Luke Matt

Yes, they can be. Neither of my parents are religious but both of them can be homophobic at times (admittedly though they are improving...). Mum can spout some religious doctrine at me (even though she's not religious at all?) at times (e.g. "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!) & she'll say some ignorant/bigoted stuff too ("Gay people get hemorroids!"). Dad rarely talks about homosexuality, but I was in the car with him a few days ago and he said that he "didn't particularly like gay people (because, you know...all gay people are the same, right?) but that they still deserve equal rights etc etc". I think what he meant to say was that he wasn't particularly comfortable with homosexuality but it's growing on him.

I should also note that neither of my parents know I'm gay (I think my step-mum does though...)

11. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't matter if it's true. What matters is that a lot of people think it is, and those people will sometimes give their gay kids a hard time out of fear that they won't have grandkids.

12. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone can be homophobic regardless of race religion gender or any other factor you can think of. Homophobia is one of those things that like death and taxes are universal, unfortunately.
    I find a bed just to keep my outness to close friends had to come with any family though...

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I suppose it's possible but I can't think of any non-religious reasons to be homophobic (besides a 'need to breed' but that's a perfectly stupid reason). As a whole, most of the atheists I've met have been pretty accepting, not a homophobic one in the bunch, (and in fact are some of the nicest, more liberal people I know) but every group has its bad apples, I'm just glad I've hardly ever encountered the assholes.

14. Aldrick

Yes, it's unfortunate but atheists can be homophobic. They are just as prone to picking up negative cultural values as anyone else. If they were raised in an intensely anti-LGBT culture then they're likely to be anti-LGBT. Obviously, they aren't going to regurgitate silly religious arguments, but they could always fall back on the "it's not natural" argument that the religious like to also use.

The good news is that from what little you wrote, your parents don't seem to be staunchly anti-gay. They may have some lingering feelings based on the culture they grew up in, but it's unlikely that they are full out bigots or anything. If they were you wouldn't be asking this question, because whenever LGBT topics come up they'd make their opinion known - loudly and in the most insulting manner possible.

That being said one of the best ways to handle this is to test the waters. Don't come out right away. Instead, find a way to bring up LGBT issues in a conversation with one of your parents to see what they have to say. Since you're going to university, this means you have the opportunity to meet gay people who are out and proud. Take advantage of that and make some friends. Then in a conversation with one of your parents slip it in casually.

You can just casually let things slip into your conversation, about how you're hanging out with "Ryan and his boyfriend Josh." Gauge their reactions. If they give you a funny look or something call them out on it and ask them if they have a problem with you hanging around someone who is gay.

It's also a great opportunity to get involved in LGBT political activism. To your parents you can talk about how you're doing something like helping get signatures for some important ballot measure, or raising money for some important LGBT cause. You can talk about this in the context of you supporting your gay friends.

All of this opens up the opportunity for you to meet other LGBT people, so that you build a support network, potentially find yourself a boyfriend, make friends, get involved in the community, and test the waters with your parents. After testing the water with your parents you'll have a better idea how they'll react when you come out.