1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I tell my sister I'm gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sully, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Sully

So I'm 19, have a good relationship with my sister (she's...21 or 22) and she has just moved out of home, but she's still here pretty often.

So far I've told 3 friends, 1 via Facebook, 1 via way to much wine and and gin, and 1 in the typical declaration style with discussion about it afterwards.

I just have no idea how to tell my siste, I know she won't care and I really want to tell her I just can't figure out how!

- I don't really want to drop it at home when parents aren't there, because it'll probably be quite out of the blue.

- Facebook/text don't sound appealing in this case.

- A letter? Maybe? I guess I could slip it in a bag and wait until she finds it and reads it and then contacts me.

- Awkwardly discuss it in the car?

- At a funeral? A wedding? A family dinner?

Long story short...HELP!

#1 Sully, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. lexi

lexi Guest

I just flat out told my sister, it was awkward, but at least I got it over with! If you do it in person, I would recommend just saying it- as long as you make sure you have "somewhere to go" in case it turns in to a long awkward silence. (For example, say you need to shower, or run to the store, or something.)

The better option though, would be the letter. Just write down whatever you want to say to her, and hand it to her in person (or mail it if you prefer).

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's all up to you in the end. Perhaps we can start by giving you random dichotomous options?

For starters, what do you think you would prefer, given your relationship with your sister: in person and face-to-face, or per a message of some kind?

Or for instance if you would perhaps like to discuss it with her more in-depth, do it in person. Or if you just want "oh, I love you no matter what dear!" and let that be the end of it, do a message of some sort.

All up to you mate :icon_wink.

4. MrBrightside

I came out to my sister the other day over the phone. I dont often see it suggested but because im away from home i decided that it was convenient and actually worked.

If you are sure shes alone at the time you can just say it, then you get an instant reaction/discussion if you want, if it is awkward its easy to get out of the conversation etc.

At the end of the day it is your decision and only you can figure out how to do it. However you do it though, sisters are usually the most accepting people and can be someone you can just phone up for a rant every now and then. At least in my case sisters can be the ones you use for support in the future.

5. Panda Sparkle

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally have only come out to one person and it was by complete accident. But from looking through the options you suggested I feel that a letter is good because if you feel too akward saying it in person, it is still personal enough that it shows that you care about how they feel.

Also you can doodle along the borders or add some stickers to personalise it. Plus ten years down the track it might be a great souvenir to bring out and remember. Sorry if I haven't helped you. Good luck on your journey.

6. JPC

JPC Guest

I didn't tell my sister, my mother did, but she was immediately cool with it.

Having done it both ways, I am a strong advocate of going the impersonal route (text, email, letter, etc) :lol: It removes a whole lot of awkwardness from the situation and allows the other person to absorb and consider the information before they have to react to it. I find that if you just blurt it out to a person they have to react to it on the spot and that puts everybody involved in an umcomfortable position.

7. Pain

Pain Guest

When I came out to my sister, I sent her a text earlier that day saying there was something I needed to tell her, and I planned to tell her on the long car ride that we were taking together, by ourselves. She asked me what I needed to say to her, and it took me a while, and I told her to wait for a moment, so we waited in silence until I got the courage to tell her, which was about 10 or more minutes. I had a brief intro, and then told her "I am gay." She said "Ok." Then we talked about cute guys. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: hahaha.
    You should just wait until you're comfortable with telling her yourself. It might take a while, but everything will be fine.

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I too just flat out told my siblings.

When you are comfortable with yourself it is as weighty as saying "I am right handed".

It is only a big a deal as you make it in your head.

If the person makes it a big deal keep in mind you have been putting forward a hetero normative lie to them for years and everyone lied to has a right to be shocked.

Bigotry is another issue that has nothing to do with you and you simply walk away.

9. Van

Van

Just tell her you want to talk with her about something that's important for you, tell her you trust her and that's why you want to tell her. When I told my sister I just said "I want to tell you something" and just told her. :grin:

10. KariGordon1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just told my sister a week ago, I get the feeling of being nervous, it took me like an hour to spit it out haha but she was very cool with it and I'm sure your sister will be as well. She's your sister and she's going to love you and support you no matter what if you guys are fairly close. Just have a sit down with her and tell her. It really isn't as bad as it seems it will be :slight_smile: good luck!

11. MixedNutz

Do what makes you feel most comfortable. If you're close to her maybe just tell her face to face. Just bring it up casually or make it more of a "I have to talk to you about something"
    Good luck.