1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why come out??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sillyolme, Apr 30, 2013.

1. sillyolme

Okay, so this might be the absolute opposite of encouraging people to come out, but I feel it needs to be said. I don't think you should be ashamed of your sexuality and if someone asks you and you can answer, then great! But, I don't see why people need to advertise it. I mean, if you told someone you were straight before, then it might be a necessity to tell them so they dont hit on you but, if it doesn't particularly affect them, then why bother. It kinda seems like you are telling someone that you don't like pizza but prefer pasta instead. It makes no difference to them.

I dunno, its my own opinion

P.S I have come out to some of my friends (one was accidentely) but that was mainly because they knew I was struggling to find it out and I was so happy with finally finding it out, I wanted to tell someone

2. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Peace of mind. Support. Being able to be yourself and vulnerable with another human being. The things we all crave. :slight_smile:

I won't come out to everyone. I probably never will with certain family members, but I don't care about their opinion. I think I'm done coming out for quite awhile. :icon_bigg

3. manoverboard09

I'm not "coming out", not telling people unless they ask.. I don't see a point for me to personally. It's no ones business but my own really :slight_smile: But most people want to come out just to be able to be themselves I guess.. and have support. But I have support here and from friends that know I'm gay, and I'm fine with that :slight_smile:

No one says you have to come out.

4. sillyolme

It just seems to be a milestone that people have to overcome eventually... I think its cause of the fact that everyone just assumes that everyone is straight unless told otherwise. Its kinda annoying

5. manoverboard09

Everyone assumes straight because that's the society "norm". Or if you do something REMOTELY different than the norm, than they assume you're gay. Society is messed up.
    And I guess it is a milestone.. but it's just part of life :slight_smile:

6. tryhtwfr

It could possibly be that it would be nice having someone there for you that knows you as who you really are, that in itself is a benefit along with the fact it's a big weight off your shoulders as you don't have to pretend to be someone you're not. I do admit that advertising your sexuality is very questionable but I do think coming out is a milestone like some people have said and many people including me want to reach that milestone in the near future!

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact is - straight people talk about their sexuality all the time, but just not in the context of "I'm straight". Any time they mention somebody they think is attractive, any time they mention "my husband" or "my girlfriend", anytime they post a picture of them with their significant other online...they've "come out as straight".

And coming out as gay can be just as low-key. It doesn't have to involve a soapbox or a proclamation. If you tell your friend "Yeah, this girl is kinda cute" or "I went to the mall with my girlfriend"...you've come out to that friend.

Lex

8. damn liar

Chely Wright has put this brilliantly, I think. What her opinion on this is, is that it's important to come out if you are safe and able not because of what it can do for you (or not only because of that), but because of what it can do to others.

I mean... what if you come out to someone makes that person think differently about gay people? They'll say '...but I still love them, even if they're gay'. Or you'll come out to someone and then their kid comes out as well and they go 'Oh, X also told me they're gay and they don't seem to actively seek to destroy the world'...

9. Eliza

Eliza Guest

Yep.

OP, you listed some excellent reasons to come out: you want support, you're excited about it, and you want to fight the assumption that everyone is straight. That's pretty much why anyone does it.