1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Day of Silence

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by nintenfreak92, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Well me and a couple of my friends were going to do it until my mom found out. She forbid me from doing it, she has been really weird towards me lately like she tells me she is ok with me but is treating it like our families deep dark secret. Idk she has just been weird and I don't know what I should do.

2. CaptainTrips

it seems to me that your mom's okay with it herself, but is afraid of how others will be. maybe she wants to protect you, or your family's rep or her own. or something.

how long has she known?

3. She has known for about 3 years.

4. ill fated lover

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the day of silence is coming up on april 25 2008 This year's Day of Silence will be held in memory of Lawrence King, who friends say was murdered in a California school February 12 because of his sexual orientation and gender expression. The event brings attention to anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools. Students observe the day in silence to echo the silence LGBT and ally students face every day. so how will you help end the silence? for more info check out http://www.dayofsilence.org

5. Lacri

Lacri Guest

My mom won't let me do anything like that. And it's not that she doesn't care, she absolutely hates gay. So even if it does bother your mom, take joy in the fact that she's at least pretending to not care. Mine's a bitch about it.

6. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Oh God I so want to do this in my uni. Guess would be a great way to come out, and a great way to help people too.

7. Tim

Tim

I'm having trouble comprehending something. How is your mom going to keep you from NOT talking. I understand how she can stop you FROM talking, but if you want to participate, then participate.

Show her the info about the kid who was killed in school because he was gay that this day of silence is dedicated to. If she still says you can't participate, then personally, I'd say still do it. She can't make you talk. This may seem harsh, but you will eventually need to start thinking for yourself, I recently came to terms with that. :3

8. Grof142007

was about to same some along the same line she cant make u not do it.

Hmm i need to find a good saying explain why i am quiet and get a sticker

"the day of silence is coming up on april 25 2008 This year's Day of Silence will be held in memory of Lawrence King, who friends say was murdered in a California school February 12 because of his sexual orientation and gender expression. The event brings attention to anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools. Students observe the day in silence to echo the silence LGBT and ally students face every day. so how will you help end the silence? for more info check out http://www.dayofsilence.org" i think it might be something like this but modified

9. ill fated lover

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you could get one these off the dos site
    [​IMG]

#9 ill fated lover, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  10. justbeingme

my parents don't know i'm going to be silent. I'm going to make a t-shirt for that day, it'll be interesting.....

11. Zūn Jìng

Zūn Jìng Guest

I am going to present this to our principal see what she thinks of it. It is a really good idea.
    R.I.P. Lawrence King

12. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

My school's GSA is planning this. I kind of feel iffy about this because I'm still in the closet, although I have been more open about it (yay for friends!)

But, I have enough days to see if I'll do this (I probably will, my friends pressuring me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

13. I have decided to not do this at school simply because it would only be me and 2 other people at m school who are doing it and would bring attention to me in my homophobic school.

14. byeee

I'd love to do it, but I need to find more supportive people. Hmm...

15. Leigh

Leigh Guest

maybe the horror of what happened to lawrence king made her think more about the seriousness of the prejudices facing the LGBT community, and shes worried that you participating will throw you into the spotlight where you could face similar persecution???

i didnt really register this as something you had to be LGBT to take part in, why not sell it to her as a way of showing respect for lawrence king and support for LGBT.
    show her how strongly you feel...

16. simon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Leigh has a point there.

i'm going to get some of my most supportive friends to do this with me as my partner won't

17. Sam

Sam

Well I'm doing it and I got a day of silence shirt yesterday so I'm excited!