1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stressing

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DiamondLucy, May 1, 2013.

1. DiamondLucy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For a while now, I've been planning to come out as bisexual. My cousin (and best friend) comes home from college soon, and as I trust her more than anybody else in the world, I was planning on telling her before gradually coming out to my parents and friends. But, yesterday at lunch, I got into a discussion with a friend of mine about the gay basketball player that just came out. She started to say that she thinks some people "come out just for attention" and it REALLY annoys her when people say they're gay but then date/whatever people of the opposite sex. Now, this friend has always been supportive of gay rights, and I was expecting her to be the ONE person who would remain my friend should I come out. What she said got me extremely upset, and now I'm rethinking coming out at all...
    The problem is that I feel I need to come out. I feel like I'm lying to people. Most of my friends wouldn't ever associate with me if they knew I was bi, and I hate feeling like they're only friends with me because I'm not being honest with them. This has been stressing me out a lot lately. I haven't been able to focus on school as much as I normally do, which is unacceptable. I'm a junior in high school, and I need to finish strong this school year to maintain a competitive GPA for college applications next year.
    I'm a mess right now, and I just don't know what to do.

2. SomeNights

She's right, your calling attention to the fact that the impression everyone had of you is in fact false. I am so sick of hearing people say "they just do it for attention" or "their so selfish". IMHO everyone is selfish at some point in their life and to say otherwise would be a lie.

Anyway, back to you, I think that you should NOT stress about it and try and refocus your energy on school. Don't try and rush coming out because of everyone else. It's your process do it your timetable!

hope this helps (*hug*)