1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been thinking of telling my parents...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BryanM, May 2, 2013.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys, so here lately in the last few weeks I've just been having these sudden urges to finally tell my parents. I told my mom before that I wasn't sure who I liked, so they know that I might possibly be gay, but I've just been feeling so bad keeping it from them.

But then again, I also feel like I'm not ready to tell them emotionally, because I'm not exactly sure how my dad will react. He's pretty accepting, but he says some remarks now and then that make me think otherwise. He doesn't say the f word or anything, it's just every now and then he will say something that will make me think he's not as accepting as I thought. I'm 99.99% sure that I would not be kicked out of my house, but I always wanted to wait until I'm out on my own before I tell them just in case there's fallout of any form. But then after I think it through again, I feel the urge to tell them because if it goes smoothly, then I'm pretty much done and out completely except for my other family, which I can handle them not being as accepting a bit easier.

I just don't know what to do right now, I'm going to talk to some of my friends and see what they think, but if you have any suggestions on what I should do, please leave them down below. I think if I can't tell them face to face, I can always write a letter and have them read it. I'm just not sure if I should wait or just get it off my chest.

And now back to me banging my head against the wall. :bang:

2. Hitch

If they love you then they will accept who you were born be. If this is something that you gave to get off your chest then i would start with your mom. At this point, it would seem your mom would at least have to suspect you're gay by saying you're not sure. If she didn't push it, then i would think she would be accepting. Or at the very least, just be ignorant about it, but willing to try and understand what it means to be gay. At this point she can help you work on your dad.

If seems that your dad just may not understand sexuality and all the different forms it comes in. From what you wrote it doesn't seem as though your dad is a homophobe. Maybe you could talk to him why watching a blues game or something. Maybe you could say how you thought the NHL would have the first openly gay athlete because they have that program that they run (forget what it is called). Then maybe ask him how he would react to having a gay athlete on his team and whether or not that would ruin the atmosphere of a locker room. Then depending on his reaction you could tell him at that point. Just try and bring the conversation up somehow and that will let you gauge his reaction. A Blues playoff win can cure anything.

You seem to be in the same place i was with my parents. I was almost certain my mom wouldn't care and a little less sure with my dad. My parents are divorced and i don't live with my dad so if i told him and reacted negatively it really would affect me though. But he is kind of a religious person and seemed to be ok with it. It just seems as though they really don't understand it because they haven't had a reason.

If it was me, i would probably tell them. Start with my mom and then work on my dad. If they love you, then they will support you (or at least not kick you out).

Good Luck!!!

3. Different

I'm also thinking of telling my parents soon. I've made a personal decision to tell them this to their faces. I just don't think I could bake a cake or write a letter. I love my realtionship with my parents too much to not be 100% real with them. IMO letters and cakes and whatnot would just make everything more awkward. If you don't have courage to tell your parents to their faces then how can you live the life you want and be close to them at the same time?

On a more personal note I am going to wait until after school lets out to tell my rents so it will not interfere with anything else. Life is too stressful at the end of Junior year anyway! You're not alone! Not to worry :slight_smile: