1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi... I could use some help....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Evanescent, May 2, 2013.

1. Evanescent

Hi there.

I was told that this site was good for getting advice about things, and I was hoping I could get some help?

I'm a Pansexual female, with a moderate preference for other women, and I'm trying to figure out how to come out to my parents, who are very anti-LGBT. They say that they love their friends that are of the LGBT community, but disagree with their lifestyle and believe they will burn in hell. No kidding, those are their exact words. I'm pretty sure if you actually loved someone, you wouldn't think they'd burn in hell....

I'm very close to my family, even though I'm fairly certain they have no idea that every time they say something like that, it kills me inside and makes my heart break a little more each time.

I just don't know what to do... I don't know how to tell them that I'm dating another woman, and we've been together for nearly six months now.

I'm just sick of always being scared that they'll hate me. They mean the world to me, and I don't know how I could get on without them....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

2. Different

Hello!

By no means am I an expert here so I hope you will take my advice with a grain of salt. If it were me I would not tell them until you are totally independent from them (that is if you really think they will not accpet you right away). I think if you decide to tell them that you need to start things off slow. It will take them a while to get over the initial shock. If it were me I would not tell them about your significicant other until they are more accpeting of you because their anger could be directed at her. Hope this helps!!

3. Evanescent

Thank you. :slight_smile: That's my plan for right now anyway, but each time they say something anti-LGBT, I just want to yell at them and tell them that every time they say things like that, it hurts me more than anything anyone has ever said to me. I just wish they were understanding like my girlfriend's parents. Her parents are amazing and very open minded. They've even offered for me to move in with them so I can get away from the stress of my parent's home. I think I'm going to take them up on the offer...

4. Red Darkness

Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't come out to my parents by choice, but it does feel better once they know. My dad was very accepting and understanding, my mom not so much on the other hand. She'll say some very rude things about my sexuality, but she still loves me. If you have someone there to support the, the not so supportive people won't mean as much.