1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sister Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tim, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Well, when I went to my friends house yesterday, on the way home, she was telling me how my sister blames herself for the fact that I'm gay because she used to tease me and call me names when I was little (My middle name is Georg, pronounced Gay-Ork). Of course, everyone except her knows that's no where near true. However, it's hurting me she feels that way. I'm not quite sure how to ask her if she really feels that way without making her feel worse, and if she does, not sure how to explain to her that it isn't her fault, it's no ones fault, I was born this way, but I know she won't understand that.

Any help is appreciated >_<

2. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm in my opinion there's no way to do it but directly.

Take her aside and tell her: 'I didn't choose my sexuality; nor did you; and nor did anyone. This isn't something that can be brought on by a bit of name-calling. It's something that's always been a part of me and always will be. It's not a case of it being anyone's fault, and there's nothing anyone can do to change me, so don't blame yourself.'

3. Louise

If you get her some resources about homosexuality, there are plenty of books out there, she will come to the conclusion all by herself that she didn't make you gay.

Give her pamphlets or books, I'm sure Becky can help you there. If you choose the direct approach she might think you are just saying it to be kind.

There are all sorts of psychological reasons that we take on responsability for things that are in no way our responsibility. This is something that your sister needs to realise for herself.

I might be completely off the mark here and I apologise now if what I say upsets you but your sister taking on the responsabilty of your homosexuality might be her way of sharing in the 'lime light' as it were. I am sure there have been discussions with-in the family about your sexual orientation, there has been the 'trauma' of coming out to friends etc. Maybe she is feeling a little left out... on a subconscious level of course.

That is only one supposition, of course I don't know your sister, she might just be one of lifes guilty people who feels responsable for the woes of the world. Give her some resources and bring up the subject of homosexuality in general you could even bring up the homosexual instincts of several species of animals.

Good luck :kiss:

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight