1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I do?[My Mom...]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Apr 9, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

Okso, i cant take much more of this. After coming out to my mom, i thought after the initial shock wore off, she'd be ok.

BUT NO.

Now, every single thing i do [to her] relates back to my sexuality. I was wrapping a gift for my grandmother, and i was using a red bag, she connected it to HIV/AIDS and thought i was trying to come out to my grandparents through hints and shit.

Also, this evening we [my brothers and my mom] were having dinner, and my littlest bro[13] has a guy friend who's Bi, and he told me it was weird for him to hear his friend hitting on guys and stuff like that, and i asked how it is any different from him hittin on a girl, and my mom was like: "THE DIFFERENCE IS YOUR BROTHER ISNT GAY!" she didnt exactly yell it, but she raised her voice quite a bit, then she stormed off. :/

should i approach her about this, or keep quiet?

2. justcallmejoey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would talk to her.

If it was my mom I would tell her to cool it because it is pissing me off.

3. CrimsonThunder

From what you've said she doesn't know what shes talking about and is making herself look stupid.

Red could also stand for blood, so... you want to kill your grandparents?

That isn't any relation to the subject at all! The only difference is hitting on a girl is more socially acceptable.

You should congratulate your bro for having a bi friend instead of ending the friendship with him.

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The red obviously symbolizes fire. I only hope your parents can read this message before you attempt to set your grandparents ablaze.

:wink:

5. justjoshoh

Even if the initial shock wore off, it may take a bit of time before she accepts it. At this point, you have already told her, so she will eventually have to accept the fact. Until then, you might have these outbursts to deal with from her. Parents, though, aren't as fragile as we sometimes make them out to be. I'd say hold your ground, point out that your sexuality is only a part of who you are and that during this time you haven't changed. You are still the same person that you have always been, rather it is her perception of you that has changed.

6. SkyTears

Just like justcallmejoey said. I would approach her and talk to her about it. It might resolve things or she might tell you he hates you for it but I don't think it's good to go on doing it in a manner that it currently is going.

7. Vampyrecat

I have a beautiful book called "chinese cinderella and the Secret Dragon society. There is a particular scene I would like to share with you.

The tea was delicious. I could taste jasmine, lemon grass, ginger, coriander and mint. I felt very close to Grandma Wu as we shared from the same cup.
    'Do you like the tea?" She asked me.
    'This is the best tea I have ever tasted.'
    Soon enough, the cup was almost empty. Then, as I tilted the rim to savour the last few drops, I gave a scream of horror. Lying at the bottom of the cup was the distinct shape of a cockroach. Instantly the memory of having drunk the rest of the tea became unbearable. Pointing to the insect, I handed the cup over to Grandma Wu with my other hand and cried out,"Look at that! How disgusting!"
    To my amazement, Grandma Wu received the cup with both hands and lifted calmly to her lips, apparently still intent on finishing off the last few drops.
    "I feel sick to my stomach!" I protested in a loud voice, "How can you drink that? You're going to be poisoned!"
    "Poisoned? You yourself were saying just now that this was the best tea you've ever tasted. Nothing has changed. Why should I be poisoned?"
    "But everything has changed! you didn't know there was a cockroach in the tea before! Now you know! How can you go on drinking it?"
    "Before you saw the cockroach, you loved the tea. As soon as you became aware of the insect, you loathed the tea instead. But the tea hasn't changed. It's you you have changed. It's your perception of the tea that has changed. Knowledge of the cockroach's presence has transformed your attitude completely....this tea ceremony was designed to point out to you the difference between "perception", "awareness" and "attitude". All of us aim to be happy. But happiness is an attitude that comes from within and is dependent on a person's perception of what is happening around her. To avoid living in a fool's paradise, one needs to perceive correctly. True perception can only come from mindful awareness, which develops gradually through meditation."
    She raised the teacup with both hands, and drank the rest of the tea as I stared at her. Then she turned the cup upside down and lifted it above her head. To my surprise the corpse of the cockroach did not fall out. Only when she gave me the cup to examine did I discover that the cockroach was in fact a part of the cup's glaze."

This particular scene has a lot of significance to your problem. Your mother's perception of you has changed, because she saw you as this wonderful kid, and now she's discovered you are gay. (Please don't assume I am comparing you to a cockroach, I am
    not, it is just a part of the book). She has yet to discover that your sexuality is a part of your glazing.
    If I were you I would write a letter to your mother, telling her everything you possibly can about yourself. Not just about your sexuality. Tell her all the things she already knows about you, and a few more. It doesn't matter how long it is. Put it in a place she's sure to find it, and give her time to digest what you're saying.
    If you don't want to do that, try to talk to her, stay calm, and in control of your emotions. If you can keep control of yourself, you are more likely to be the mature one in the argument (if it arises) and she will recognise that, even if it's not right away. You really need to explain to her that you are still the lovely person you always were, she's just discovered something about you she isn't comfortable with.

Hope this helps, and I'm sorry about the length.
    Tess.

8. Helen

Helen Guest

That's an Adeline Yen Mah book! I love her work, Falling Leaves is one of my favourite books in the world. And yes, I agree with the above posters, you should definitely approach your mum and talk to her about it. She's thinking that the situation is much worse than it actually is, doesn't know what to do, so just overreacts, from what it sounds like. Remember, she's still your mother, she'll come to realise that it's who you are eventually. But this current behaviour isn't doing anyone any good v_v

9. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG I love that book!!! I remember that bit, it's like soo deep!!
    Anyway it looks as though all the above people have nailed it before I managed to get here. Listen to them, they know what they're talking about. :slight_smile:
    I hope things get better. (*hug*)

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It sounds to me like your Mom may be in that anger stage in the parent stages of grief. She's letting it out in inappropriate ways. You probably need to make her aware she's doing that.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it sounds a bit like your mother is in that "how could YOU do this to ME" stage. People are apt to look at situations from entirely THEIR point of view - it's a natural thing. So when the busload of nuns crashes into the busload of orphans on the highway, and you're stuck a mile back, you think "Why is THIS happening to ME?" It's selfish, but it's natural.

So if you think you can, have a bit of a talk with your mother. But try to go the extra mile, and try to look at things from her perspective. Tell her you love her, you appreciate all she does, and you'd never do anything to hurt her. Remind her that it took a lot of screwing-up of courage for you to come out to her, because you care about her and didn't want her to react badly to it. You don't want your sexuality to impact anybody negatively. You're not out to make anyone's life difficult. But at the same time, you want to be who you are.

Lex

12. Leigh

Leigh Guest

wow that story is really poignant, and kind of what i was going to say...

maybe point out to her that HIV affects millions worldwide, both gay and straight??

13. Lacri

Lacri Guest

OMG!! My mom is a lot like that. Only she's a complete bitch about it to me. She treats me like shit about it! I get so mad!

14. MusicIsLife

*hugs everyone who replied* Thank you everyone for your responses :] I'll definitely talk to her later tonight, when i can catch her alone :slight_smile:

15. SkyTears

please do tell us how it goes

16. simon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good luck. it's really good you are going to talk about this

17. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

OMG are you serious? That is beyond psycho...

18. MusicIsLife

The result!

ok so i sat down and asked her about the things she have been doing, and she told me i was being too touchy, and shes totally alright with it, and the freak out the other night was cause she was worried about my brothr's prom. she didnt get pissed, and she spoke very calmly, so im not sure if shes sayng that to make her conscience feel better, or if she really means it. Im gonna let it rest now though, cause shes not mentioning it at all anymore. so yea :slight_smile: thanks again everyone for all the help and support.

19. Quitex

Quitex Guest

(*hug*) I'm glad everything is going kinda OK now. (*hug*)

20. Wall

Wall Guest

:eusa_clap I'm glad that you were able to talk to your mother about this. Sometimes it can be hard because of religion, or just the way they were raised. For some people, they think being bi, gay, or les, is a sign of the devil, and they would just freak on you and then try to get you into rehab or something to stop you from being gay, bi, les or such.

Good to see things are looking up for this problem! :thumbsup: