1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tom not Tim, May 4, 2013.

1. Tom not Tim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, last year December I came out to all my friends (yay for me) and other people found out later through the grapevine. It was a liberating and intensely euphoric experience. I've had a boyfriend for about 4 months. Now everyone knows, including my older brother and cousins (not younger coz he's 10 :/). Everyone except for my parents, at least that's what I assume. I doubt they suspect anything, not even my friends did, I'm not exactly stereotype gay even tho I do hold hands in public.

Anyways, today is the day and I'm definitely going to tell them. I could use all the advice I can get between now and this evening. I expect on May 5 I'll wake up in a warm bed, or perhaps a cold street, I donno what to expect really.

Xoxo

2. Sully

Haven't told mine yet, so no advice but good luck!

3. Aielar

I'd suggest sitting down with them at a calmer time of the day so you, and they, both have the chance to speak and ask questions of each other without feeling rushed. It may be helpful for you to arrange to check in with a good friend after you come out to them to debrief with, even if it goes well. I'm hoping this doesn't happen, but do you have someone you can stay with if it doesn't go so well?

Best of luck and let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

4. julia

If it helps, try telling them at different times, or just separately. That sometimes helps the process of coming out quite a bit. Just be ready for a lot of questions, they may not understand as a lot of parents these days. Just explain to them that you like other guys and that you've known for a while. I wouldn't bring up the boyfriend just yet, I think they need a little bit more time for that. I wish you the best, and let us know what happens!

5. Tom not Tim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An unexpected event happened tonight and the timing just would have been off, we went to watch the soccer at the stadium. So tomorrow morning is the new time (and final) time. I'll let you know how it goes. And lastly, yes I do have a few places to stay in case the worst happens.
    Thanks again
    Beijinhos xoxo!

6. Tom not Tim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told them, and they took it very well :grin:

I said I needed to tell them something and that I love them. My mom thought I got someone pregnant. But I told them, and they're happy for me.
    The best thing happened, my 11 year old brother walked in and asked "What's wrong?". My dad responded, "You mean, what's right"
    :slight_smile:

7. Sully

The best :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww that's such a great story!! Congratulations! :slight_smile: