1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 'Right' Time

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by confeshhhions, May 4, 2013.

1. confeshhhions

As many of you may also have experienced at some point, I have been really struggling with the concept of telling my family about my being bi.

I have came out to my best friend, who is really accepting and nothing in our friendship has changed - and I couldn't be happier about that! But I'm worried about my parents, my siblings and my grandparents' reactions.

We are a very open-minded, accepting lot - a few members of our family are gay and we have a lot of family friends, close ones, who are very openly gay.

But in discussions in the past, my siblings have been not so positive about bisexuals. They seem to joke about us being 'greedy' and say that bi's should "make up their f*cking minds" - and then laugh.

But what if their opinion isn't a joke?

What if I tell them and they think I'm joking? Or proceed to pressure me to choose?

When is the 'right' time to come out to anybody, especially family? Not just the time of day, but what point in your life??

Help and advice would be much appreciated!!

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there is every a "right" time, but there is definitely a time when it feels "most right".

I think that it's easy to over-analyse a few things that your siblings have said in passing and to stretch them into something bigger than they are. If they are comfortable with gay people, there is a very high chance that they will be accepting of you, and you have little to worry about.

People can often sometimes be very critical of something before it comes to their own doorstep, and once it does, they can very quickly change. Once they come to understand that you are bisexual, and that you are certain of it, then I would be very surprised if you have any issues with them. The concept of "bisexuality" is something that some people can't get their heads around when they haven't really even considered how sexuality works, but they'll definitely get there. It may be a good idea to even get more familiar with the research on sexuality yourself; looking up things like the Kinsey scale could be a good idea. That way, you can inform them properly.

But going back to the right time: it's easy to think and think about when you should tell them and how you should, but what you need to do is to work up the courage and bravery to be able to do it. You won't be able to set out a right time to tell them, but some day it will feel like it is the "most right" time to do it. You will always be hesitant and scared. That's normal. But some day, whether it's in days, weeks, or a few months, you will sense the moment and be able to do it.

(If, say in two years time you still haven't managed to sense a good moment, maybe then it may be time to evaluate the whole coming out process.)

3. confeshhhions

That really helped! Thank you. I appreciate your help.

4. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad I could be of help, confeshhions! :grin:

5. confeshhhions

6. I don't think that there is a fight time to tell family, my only piece of advice is do it one at a time and not in a bunch

7. confeshhhions

Thanks Yuri Wolf!

8. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem :slight_smile: hope it all goes well for you