1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my sister..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KariGordon1996, May 4, 2013.

1. KariGordon1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I have three older siblings, and about two weeks ago I came out to my middle sister who lives at home still. She was really cool with it and very supportive but since the day after we haven't spoken barely a word to each other. We've been avoiding one another for two weeks now and it's just really awkward. Did this happen to anyone else? Should I bring it up to her? She also seems to think that this is just a phase and I'm just curious even though I told her i have known for a very long time that I am gay, 100 percent sure of it. How can I get her to understand all of this?

2. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This kind of thing happens all the time. When I told my younger sister, she was also very cool and supportive about it, but then we didn't speak properly for two or three weeks. Then, I just made an effort to try and have a conversation with her every few days, and very quickly things were back to normal. And within another few weeks, we were able to bring up the whole "gay thing" without it being awkward.

There's no doubt about it: being gay is hardest on you. You're the one who has to go through all this shit. But it's not exactly easy on those around you either, and she's probably just getting her head sorted out a bit. And if she is perfectly OK with it, maybe she simply doesn't know the right thing to do. Should she talk to you more often and make it obvious that things are different? Sometimes I think it can be paralysis through analysis, in that she may be thinking about the right way to handle it so much that in the end she ends up doing nothing because she's afraid of doing or saying the wrong thing.

How do you know that she thinks it's just a phase? If she was really "cool with it and very supportive", I don't know how she could think it's a phase, unless she has expressly told you that she thinks so.

If she has told you this, then the only way I've found that works is persistence. Keep telling her you're sure, and you've known for a long time, and you've thought about it for a long time, and that you definitely wouldn't tell her unless your were 100% sure. Remember, she's only had two weeks to think about it. I presume you've had a few years at least!