1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm out, but I still can't say it. Why?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Count Duckula, May 5, 2013.

1. A couple weeks ago, I sent my mom a coming out letter, and she took the news really well. Why then do I still have such a problem saying "I'm gay" aloud? After that night, the subject was completely dropped, but lately I've been wanting to talk to her about it some more, and I am unable to bring it up when I talk to her. I know it's really dumb, because she already knows, but I just can't find the words. Did anyone else experience this inability to say it to those you've already come out to?

I hate that I can't get over this. I came out and thought "Yay, I finally have people I can talk to about this in real life!" but my brain just freezes up whenever I try to start these conversations, which I desperately want to have.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I've been out for 2 years now and I've still never been able to actually say the words. I stopped wondering why and I just go with it. I emailed my mom when I told her so I never actually said them aloud. I know one piece of advice I've seen on here before is to practice saying them in front of the mirror out loud just to yourself. Then once you're comfortable enough with it you'll eventually be able to say it to others.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not uncommon. You might simply practice. Look in the mirror every morning and say "I'm gay". Whenever you're in a rest room or near a mirror, say it to yourself (in your head, if there's somebody else around). After a while, it'll feel less like an admission, and more like a simple statement of fact.

Lex

4. Thanks, guys. That sounds like solid advice. I guess it'll just take some time (and practice). I expected this problem to go away once I came out, but apparently not.

5. Labyrinth

Interesting to hear this situation and these comments. Never considered this might be a possibility but I can see how it can happen. I'm personally not sure enough of my own feelings on the subject, but I like hearing how things play out for everyone on here.

6. Lewis

I'm exactly the same. If somebody that knows I'm gay says it, I still get all defensive about it and tell them to shush. Me and a particular friend have a code word for gay.