1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outted by Twitter? (Doh!)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kc1895, May 5, 2013.

1. kc1895

I think I just screwed myself over. :eusa_doh: I started a Twitter account recently, and I've been tweeting some girl celeb crushes. (Yes I've actually hit on them.) I'm mostly in the closet in real life- or so I thought... While I was checking my email today, Twitter sent me some recommendations on people with Twitter accounts that I may know through my email. These were people I know in real life, professionally and personally. I'm pretty sure they were sent the same email with my Twitter information as well!! This would mean that they've looked at my Twitter account and saw... AGHHHHHH!!! :icon_eek: I ended up deleting my Twitter account entirely and ran back into the closet. Hopefully nobody saw my entries and who I was following...

2. theMaverick

What you could do is set up a different email account that no one has just for twitter, and don't put any personal info on there.

3. photoguy93

You can always leave out a picture and use another email account, if you are in it for the twitter experience.

However, it's important to keep in mind that "privacy" is becoming a thing of the past. Unless you specifically state "I want it to be private" by locking up your account tighter than a prison inside a bank vault (I wonder what I come up with this stuff...) you need to realize this stuff happens.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #oops #nothingtoseehere :slight_smile:

Lex

5. The Dude

I love twitter, use it all the time, but I can't follow the people I want simply because it be an instant outing....get back on twitter, just use a different email and what not. I'm sure nobody noticed, you'll be fine

6. Lewis

I use twitter to be a little more open. I follow various LGBT related organisations and if friends were to see them, I'd let them make their own conclusions. Just because I support LGBT causes, doesn't make me gay.

I guess you could just say you were messing around or 'trolling' celebrities.

7. lawRAWR

I have a twitter account but only allow two people I know to follow me. I always tweet gayish stuff, famous girls I have crushes on. They never question me about it, because they probably see it as just girl crushes. But I guess it depends on who you associate with