1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When and where do I begin?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dancer1234, May 5, 2013.

1. Dancer1234

Dancer1234 Guest

I guess if I had to say where I was in the whole coming out process I would probably have to say square 1 at the most. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I have accepted who I am but I'm not even remotely sure where my friends and family are.

First of all I don't really know when I should come out, if while I'm young is such a good idea or waiting till myself and the ones like my friends and family are more mature and understanding.Or if maybe I should just go off after I'm out of my house, find some girlfriend and then spring it on them and see what happens.

My other concern about coming out would be how. I don't really know where my parent are on the fact of gay. We live in Kansas, we go to church, and I haven't heard the most reassuring responses to some lgbt stuff. On the other hand I don't hear them discriminating against gays and I have asked discreetly if there was anything that I could do to make them disown me and they said no. Now my friends, it would have to depend on which friend. I think I do have one maybe two friends that I would come out to.
    sorry if this long, I've just really needed to get this off my chest

2. BlackSwan

I think a good "starting point" is coming out to someone that you know will support you. In my case, I 1° came out to one of my best friends that I was completely positive that he would..

I'm not out at all to my family and I'm not sure how to do it... :confused: every time I'm more and more afraid that they won't be that supportive

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, neighbor-to-the-east. :slight_smile:

It sounds like you've got a good handle on where you're at. You don't sound too unsure with who and what YOU are, so you've at least moved beyond that square. And if you're not still sure about everybody else, keep mulling it over. Eventually, you'll probably decide (say) your best friend can handle this bit of news, and you'll be ready to start telling others.

Lex

4. Labyrinth

I agree with Lex. Knowing yourself is a big step. Self development and understanding can take time, and it is a big hurdle, but also one that is forever unfolding and changing. But being sure of yourself helps others settle into their understanding of you. Be comfortable with yourself and who you are and it creates the path for them to fall into line with that. Start with people you feel most likely to give you support. That will be great practice and then you will have more on your side :slight_smile:

5. Dancer1234

Dancer1234 Guest

Thank you all, you don't know how much these all mean to me