1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know when it's time?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by darkprincess, May 6, 2013.

1. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    As stated by the title, how will I know when I'm ready to come out to my friends? Is it one of those things that only you will know or is it something that you can look for to know? I really want to tell my friends because I am feeling very depressed at the moment and I know that if I can tell them I will feel much better. Please help, I can offer any further details if needed. Thank you
    xoxoxo

2. Jordz

Yea, its just one of those things you will know. If you want to tell your friend then you should, do you have any idea how he/she will react?

3. As a fellow transgirl on the verge of coming out, what's allowed me to get to this point is that not only has my dysphoria gotten so out of control that the thought of bottling it up any longer is now more scary than the thought of telling people, but I'm also now excited at the prospect of telling my loved ones with a new found confidence, and beginning transition. Ultimately, only you can know when the time's right for you, and you will. Good luck!

4. Lewis

When you no longer feel scared and completely accept yourself. One day I was with a friend and just felt it was the time to tell them. I usually play the guessing game when it comes to coming out. I tell them I have something to tell them and then let them do the rest.

5. darkprincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks everyone, I think I know how most will react if I tell them but then there is a few I honestly have no idea how they will react

6. Mysz

Tell us how it goes when you do! Just tell those friends you're closest to and build support before you tell those you're unsure about. Once you start entering that grey area, hold on tight to any sort of lifeline (a friend, family member etc.- EC can be part of your lifeline too!)- and swim out confidently.

7. Foxface

totally cliche...but it will just be there. You'll know when it's time. I felt the same way. I knew several would have no problem with it, but a couple I had no clue about

good luck...you'll be great

Foxface

8. RainbowMan

All I can add, as someone on the way out myself, is that you'll know when it's time, and it will just "feel right" - there's no manual :slight_smile: