1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the Kinsey Scale valid?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SooConfusedRN, May 7, 2013.

1. SooConfusedRN

I took the kinsey scale test and got 3, but i was wondering if the result meant you were what it said, no doubts about it or if that wasnt necessarily true

2. Hexagon

I'm a 3 too. The Kinsey scale is just a self reflection thing, you can't really use it do discover your sexuality if you don't already know it. In fact, I dont think any tests are very useful for discovering your sexuality - either they're based on stupid stereotypes, or they're based on questions that are just a rephrasing of 'what is your sexuality?'.

If you are attracted to men and women, you're either bisexual or pansexual, and you don't need a quiz to tell you that.

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there is such a thing as a Kinsey scale. However, there is NOT some kind of official test to determine where you are on the scale.
    Sure, some people have built online tests about it, but they're not really supported by any research. so don't treat little tests like those as if they reveal deep and profound truths.

The only way you can find a place on the Kinsey scale is to place yourself, really. On a scale of one to six, how often are you attracted to your own sex? That's really the only question that matters.

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The Kinsey scale is certainly valid as a means of self-description, but it's something that you have to decide where you fall on it, not something where you can be told where you fall on it. The results of any "test" of where you fall on the Kinsey scale should be taken with a grain of salt.

Zero* to six. :slight_smile:

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And how much you're attracted to the other sex. The fact that I have no same-sex attraction whatsoever doesn't make me straight.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

You can be sure internalized homophobia and level of self acceptance of sexuality at any given moment all flavour the results.

My guess... Anybody not firmly anchored at either end of the spectrum, or asexual is in some degree of flux from day to day.

Just my opinion.