1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents as trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by metalgrrl, May 8, 2013.

1. metalgrrl

So tomorrow im coming out to my parents as trans. Its taken me a long time to work up to this, but now i have a really awesome and supportive adult on my side whose gonna help me through this, and I'm ready. My parents are really strong christians tho, and im worried that they're gonna react badly, and im just not sure what exactly i should say to them... im really scared about this :frowning2: i'm just worried that i'm gonna end up fumbling for words, and my mom is gonna freak out, and that i'm never going to have the relationship i have with them now back... advice would be much appreciated...

2. Not being out yet myself, I can't speak from experience, but many who are say that some of the people they thought would be least supportive turned out to be some of their biggest advocates. Your parents may surprise you. For what this may be worth, my mom is as strong a Christian as there is, and is very accepting of transgender people. The important thing to remember when talking to them is that you don't have to explain everything at once. A lifelong struggle can't be properly explained in one conversation. Good luck!

#2 femaleatheart, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  3. Niko

Yes your parents may surprise you. Prior to me coming out my parents and sister would say a lot of transphobic things. Afterwards though, they were very supportive. Yes it's still not perfect, but they're pretty cool with it.

They may or may not be supportive at first, but they will come around eventually. After all you are still their kid, and they should love you no matter what. Just be honest with them, and like what Femaleatheart said, you don't need to explain everything to them right away.

4. Jim1454

I think the more positive you can be, the better your parents' reaction. And if they don't react well, stay calm and positive and let them know that you're still going to be their child, and that you understand that they are confused and upset. Let's face it, we struggle with these things for months or years before coming out. We can't expect our families to deal with it in the first 30 seconds following them finding out. It's going to take them time as well.

But the fact of the matter is - you're trans. Whether your parents like it or not. So stay positive and lean on that supportive adult that you've found for help. And keep us posted here.

5. metalgrrl

well, here i go! im really scared, but im gonna do this! wish me luck :grin:

6. Good luck! (And congrats) :slight_smile:

7. metalgrrl

Alright! im done and my parents are really supportive! or my dad is at least... my mom is kinda a bit freaked out. but my dad is just so awesomely supportive that its all good, and were gonna find a therapist and stuff :grin: im so happy :grin:

8. Sully

Congratulations! Time to start living!

9. The Dude

Wow, I'm so excited for you! Congratulations!

10. metalgrrl

aand now my mom wont stop crying :frowning2: kinda put a damper on the mood, but whatever, she'll come around.

11. That's so awesome!

12. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That is so great! When I read your first message I was very worried about you, but when you said your parents reaction where mainly possitive and supportive I almost cried a bit, that's awesome, congrats!!