1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by That Kid, May 8, 2013.

1. That Kid

So I've come out to quite a handful of people, some of them being surprised and some giving off this "yeah I basically knew" vibe. But most people I've come out to don't really bring it up after I've told them. I'm not sure if it's a sign of discomfort or not wanting to smother me with questions. But sometimes it makes me feel like I didn't even come out to them or they just want to avoid talking about it. Has anyone experienced this and felt the same way?

2. BornInTexas

I'm in the same situation as you, but my friends sometimes joke about it.

They rarely ever ask me questions, even though I honestly don't want to answer them, but I have braced myself for future questions I might get. Maybe it's just a sign of them showing how they don't care if you're gay you're still that person that knew before you told them.

3. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you speak to them about their sexuality?

As the guy above said, it's more than likely a sign that they just don't give a shit if you're gay, straight, or whatever.

Unless they've started treating you differently since you told them, what are you worrying about?

4. MrBrightside

I know exactly how you feel. I always came out when i was drunk, and people just acted as if it never happened. I always feel better speaking about it somehow, like it makes it real and reassures me they understand and are cool with it.

Weirdly its the more homophobic friends that i spoke to about it most, and it kinda brought us together weirdly.

I reckon its because they dont understand coming out. They realise its very hard to come out, therefore they think that you want it to be ignored.

Personally i just bring it up from time to time, saying "oh that guys hot" in a film, or other little mentions. Either that or have a good heart to heart with a close friend about who you have your eye on etc, they do it with girls so i you may as well do the same.

Those tips are presuming your friends are totally cool with it and happy for you to be open about these things.