1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about getting drunk and coming out in front of family.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lawRAWR, May 10, 2013.

1. lawRAWR

My friend is holding a party at her house in June, it's a family party, and all my friends are invited. Some parents have also been invited, one of them being my Mum.

I have never been drunk before, and I know there will be alcohol and I will probably want to drink. I'm just worried that I'll end up coming out to my Mum on that night due to being intoxicated... :bang: Because apparently people tend to talk about their worries and stuff when they're drunk.

I know I could choose to not drink, but I won't be doing that :lol: But I was just wondering if there is a chance that I could just randomly shout it out, has it happened to anyone on here?

2. The Dude

One night my friends and I were drinking. It was one of my friends second or third time drinking. Late in the night he was alone in a room, and I walked in. He was crying his eyes out, telling me about his mother who has cancer and about how he has no friends at school and he's really depressed, etc. He's never mentioned any of these things beforehand. So yes, being intoxicated may result in you saying something you don't want to say.

Having said that, I've never had a problem, as I've never gotten plastered. I'm not encouraging a 15 year old to drink, but I can't stop you from doing it either. Just be responsible and don't go overboard if you do drink, and you should be fine. Take it slow...you don't know how it may affect you.

3. theMaverick

You're 15. Don't drink. Simple as that.

I get much more open and affectionate when I'm drunk. The best thing to do would be not to drink, problem solved.

4. qboy

That was definitely something that worried me back when I started drinking around the age of 18 but it never happened. However one thing to remember is that you need to drink within your own boundaries and take it slow - a good way to help this is to have a glass of water* between each drink (and as a bonus you'll be less hung over in the morning) - handy hint - if you have more than about 100ml in the bottom of your glass people don't tend to offer you another drink (unless of course rounds are involved which won't be the case at a house party), so don't feel like you have to finish it off :wink:

People can do stupid things when they drink beyond there limits (fortunately I'm one of those people who falls asleep rather than gets aggressive). If your not stupid with your alcohol consumption you retain a surprising amount of control, but remember your not as in control as you think (so don't drive, wait for the green man before crossing the road etc...).

And if I remember my first couple of times drinking, beer tasted horrible so took forever to drink. It's certainly an acquired taste (alcopops on the other hand I can drink faster than water so tend to avoid).

Blurting out no, although after being with the same people a few times I nearly ended up snogging one of them (never have I been so grateful for someone spilling a pint over someone else after tripping on the stairs at that moment :grin: ) and letting some people know I'm not straight when asked - yes, but then again these were people I'd been trying to tell anyway.

* Speaking of which, in the UK bars/pubs/clubs legally have to have free tap water available so it doesn't even cost anything (although some clubs can be really arsey about this - as they would be when they charge £6 for a 500ml bottle of mineral water).

5. The Dude

My advice above stands if you do drink...but I agree with this statement.

6. Brightsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If anyone offers alcohol, just politely say, no thanks I'm good without it. Cause ya your only 15 you really shouldn't be drinking yet. Even here the drinking age is 19, I know it's 21 in the states, not sure what it is in England. If you worried about saying something this much just don't drink anything.

7. qboy

Different countries have different rules and norms on that one.

In England and Wales for instance you can drink from the age of 5 in a private place, at 16 or 17 you can legally drink in a pub or restaurant provided you are with someone over 18 and they bought the alcohol (beer, wine, and cider only) and you are having your drink with a meal, and from the age of 18 you can legally buy alcohol.

It's certainly far from unusual to be drinking at 15, and having a small glass of wine with your Sunday dinner or a half of beer at a family party is pretty normal from about 14/15 onwards.

8. YFerns

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    People have said lots already. I would not stress on the not drinking part, as you cant keep that charade up for long in any party.
    And i am 15, and i drink, and smoke........ :angry:
    I really have not been in the situation, but if i was, i would just drink and give a f***. But I get that you wanna hide it from your mother, so i cant tell you to do that.
    If you have supportive friends, ask them to mind you.
    Or drink, but not a lot, just enough to satisfy but not a lot.
    Or, if the party is not crucial to attend, skip it all together and find ways to tell the big secret to your mother before she finds out herself.......
    But is she open minded or closed? You need to speak of your mother's mindset for any more help from anyone.
    And not to depress you, but ther is exactly 1.7% chance that you will blurt it out.

9. lawRAWR

Yeah, I am literally one of a small handful of people who have never been drunk. Many people drink over here in England :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks all for the advice!

10. Hefiel

That's the reason I've 'never' drank alcohol before (I did taste, but never drank a glass or bottle). I have no clue what my resistance to alcohol is, so I've always been really afraid that I'd get drunk and come out as gay, especially since I was seriously confused and in denial.

I'm out now, but I'm still in no hurry of drinking alcohol anyway. At least not unless I'm surrounded by someone (or more than 1 person) that I can trust. Who knows what shameless act I'd be capable off with no inhibition ... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. phoebe

if you do get drunk and tell them when they are drunk they probably wont remember

12. qboy

People do remember - it might not be straight away but there will be something that prompts the memory. IMHO it's a myth that people forget everything they did while drunk (unless of course you get to the stage where you end up being hospitalised or are mixing it with other substances).

13. TTSP

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm pretty sure I outed myself to a friend a week or two ago when I was hammered can't remember too much about the night. Going through a stressful time so I've been over indulging when out and doing some embarrassing things :/

14. hitgirl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The more you drink, the less control you will have. That's part of the appeal for most people, because it relaxes some of our inhibitions and makes it easier to talk, dance and joke around. It's good to switch to soft drinks at this point because after that, you can become even less inhibited and yes, you might come out by accident, you might make a total fool of yourself by running around naked or becoming violent or just saying really stupid stuff. You might not be able to remember it all, but other people probably will.

Not everyone does this though. Different people react to alcohol in different ways - some people are "good drunks" who just get happier and chattier, some people are "bad drunks" who get violent, angry, upset, disruptive, etc. Most people do both at different times. And it's not really obvious who will be which, I know people who are polite when sober and violent when pissed and also people who are angry when sober and nicer when pissed!

One thing that affects your reaction is how strong your drinks are, whether you mix different types, and how fast you drink them. It takes a while for alcohol to get into your system, so if you think, "Oh, I didn't feel anything, I'll drink more!" then it can catch up with you and suddenly you're drunk.

At least until you figure out what your tolerance levels are (and they'll be low, as you haven't drunk before), then I would recommend leaving long gaps between drinks so you can keep assessing how drunk you're getting. Only problem there is that once they're drunk a lot of people stop paying attention and just keep knocking them back.

If you're set on having a drink, I would say limit yourself to one or two for your first time and if two, drink them slowly and spread them out over the night, having soft drinks in-between. Even after drinking for years and building up a tolerance, two is still enough to give me a nice buzz, whereas four is enough to occasionally turn me into an embarrassment.

Have fun :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Dec 2013 at 02:10 AM ----------

You can definitely forget everything you did when you were drunk, I did it many times in my youth without ending up in hospital or taking drugs. Not a very nice feeling.

---------- Post added 19th Dec 2013 at 02:15 AM ----------

Can I just clarify that you shouldn't be "drinking" from the age of five, I believe it's just that you are allowed to have a taste of a drink at home, not like a bottle of beer to yourself or anything! I don't know any teenagers who have alcohol at home with their Sunday dinner either (maybe as an occasional thing, like at Christmas). But otherwise what you said is definitely true of our country.

15. qboy

Of course - and from my experience those of use who got that first sip of Wine/Beer when we were young (around nine or ten) were the ones who were put off of alcohol for years (and two decade later I still can't stand the taste of wine). My siblings and I, along with my close friends when they were at home, were generally offered a small glass with Sunday dinner but didn't like it so never bothered. Those where it was completely forbidden started later on there own, which meant they were earlier with the full drinks!