1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mum is questioning my sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Elena, May 11, 2013.

1. Elena

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've been out to my family for a few months now and when I told them, I made it very clear that I was completely homosexual. They all accepted it very well, saying it was no big deal etc.

However recently me and my mum were talking about family, marriage, children etc. and she started talking about my future husband. And I asked her if she didn't really understand that I don't intend to marry a man. She then started saying: "What, do you really like no guys? No guys at all? Not even some? What about those gentle, nice guys that are far from the typical macho guy?" And I told her again that I was totally lesbian, but she still questioned it.

The strangest thing is that she KNOWS I was never into guys, not even as a child, and that I never really dated a guy... She wasn't even so surprised when I told her I was gay. So why is she trying to convience me now that I should like at least some guys?

Any tips? I thought I made it clear enough but she still thinks it's a phase after being gay all my life... It's like she doesn't want to face the reality, even if she makes it seem like she's fine with it.

2. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have heard people say that it can take parents as long to comes to terms with their child's sexuality as it did or the person themselves to comes to terms with it. In which case your mother may need some more time to really get her head around it , for you , you have known you didn't like men for a long time by the sounds of it but I doubt you accepted that you would one day marry a women straight away. So id say just give your mum some more time and try and really explain that you don't have feelings for men , but you can still get married and have children somehow. She would have had the image of you married to a man with children in her head for a long time mayby since you where born so in retro respect a couple of months knowing you where gay isn't that long to change that image.