1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed Dont know wot 2 call it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JWAD, Apr 13, 2008.

1. JWAD

JWAD Guest

Ok it's complicated so I'm gonna have to start a few years ago, well alot of years agoi guess lol. Back in junior school i got into a fight with someone and ended up breaking their nose. This doesn't sound that big except it wasnt me exactly who hit him exactly but i didnt care then. Year 7 i got into another fight and knocked the guy unconcious b4 i was pulled away, i had 2 change schools but again it wasnt exactly me. Recently I got into a fight with a friend started off as fun but i lost control when he actually hurt me and broke his arm i havnt had 2 change school because earlier today I went to a psychic hospitol place (aka loony bin) and told everyone, i have two people in my head, me James and then someone else, Dean. Dean's useually better than me at keeping cool but he says that he needs to "protect us" and so wenever things get physically violent he takes over and doesnt stop until he gets dragged away or i can take control again. i dont know why im telling you guys this i just am so now iv got to go to all these psyciatrist sessions where this womans gonna teach us to live together:dry: I can allready do that! I need him to stop trying to kill anyone who bumps into me! and nowI'mknown as the insane guy at shool. great, that'll help :dry:

2. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's good to know you're seeing a psychiatrist. She should be able to help you. Don't worry - if you tell her everything then she can do her job. Don't keep anything from her. Good luck.

3. 24601

It's probably schizophrenia, a mental disorder that's generally treatable. As Brompton said, it's good that you're seeing a psychiatrist - s/he should be able to help you. Just be open with the psychiatrist, and thing'll be good eventually. Ignore the people who call you crazy, and try to avoid getting yourself into situations where Dean takes over. Remember, you're not crazy - you're suffering from a treatable disease.

Hope that helps.

4. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Not to be an ass (oops!) but Dean won't go away. He won't leave you alone. It depends on you how much freedom you give Dean. It is amazing, as have been already pointed out, that you're seeing a psychiatrist.

This may take time and may take a lot of medicine and treatments, but you will pull it out at the end. DO NOT LOSE YOUR SELF-ESTEEM! You can do this! Dean won't control you on all your life! You're 16 and you have a looong way to walk, just make sure you live happily and you make your own decisions, without anyone - including Dean - affecting on how you take them.

And we care about you. (&&&) Come back eventually and keep up posted! (*hug*)

5. Wall

Wall Guest

Its good to see that your getting help. And I hope everything works out! (*hug*)

On a side note, taking meds to stay calm and stuff like that isnt the best idea. Because that stuff has been proven to become addicting and it will just make a new problem.

(&&&) Anyways, we are all here to support you along the way if you are having any trouble!(&&&) And feel free to PM for anything you might need help with! :slight_smile:

6. CrimsonThunder

Good luck with this JWAD. :slight_smile:

7. Jim1454

I'm glad you're getting help, and that you've finally told someone about what's been going on in your head. You've had a lot to deal with in your life, and it's time that you got some help. Good luck. Try not to let the kids at school give you a hard time. Just be yourself and stay positive.

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It does sound like the symptoms present for Schizophrenia, but that is something better confirmed by a psychologist rather than matching symptoms online. I would just put my money on it being that.

First off you need to be aware that schizophrenia is not your fault. There are numerous links to it appearing, such as genetics. A study by Kendler (1985) found that having a schizophrenic relative means you are up to 18 times more likely to develop that condition. There are also other links that suggest reasons for it presenting (see here if interested). I think concentrating on why you have it would be the wrong approach to take as there is no guaranteed way of knowing.

As you're in UK it seems likely that you're going to be having CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) as it's the most recommended psychological therapy used by the NHS. It is used to cure behaviour such as schizophrenia, depression, bulimia etc. It's a very organised treatment and it does require a great deal of self effort, but if you want to overcome it then you'll handle it just fine.
    Cognition basically means mental processes, and this includes processes such as thinking, imagining and information processing. It is probably easy to see why schizophrenia fits in so well to it. I have a whole booklet on cognition due to a module exploring that approach, so if you want any more information on it then let me know. :grin: For now i'll just stick to the therapy stuff.
    Assuming you do have CBT, the psychologist will be assessing your mental processes. This is to allow you and your doctors to monitor them, evaluate them and later alter them. The good thing about this approach is that it allows any psychological behaviour to be changed or controlled. Anyways, they'll be checking to see how you perceive yourself and others, so don't be freaked out if they don't address the problem straight away.
    You may also be asked to keep a diary. This is something anybody who has read my long rants on here will have seen me do. I do encourage people to keep diaries of the thoughts, kind of like a Lite CBT. This itself is very important to allow you to keep a log of your emotions and feelings. They will be looking for any negative thoughts that may arise when your other personalities present themselves, and they will then explore ways to overcome this so that it does not appear again.

This itself is not always a nice, quick and easy treatment. It takes patience and determination to overcome, but if you do stick at it then it will work. You won't just wake up one morning and feel like you're cured, and you also have to be prepared for setbacks. They will and do happen, but for every step back you take then you aim to take two forward. As for people thinking you're psychotic, they're narrow minded idiots. Nobody has a perfect mind as we all think irrationally at times (something also covered in CBT) so they could be thrown into it just as easily as you. You don't have complete control over your mind so do not let them make you feel bad. It's hard enough as it is, and the added psychological stress from another burden is not needed when you may be entering a therapy that will affect your life.

Good luckski. :grin:

9. JWAD

JWAD Guest

Hey, firstly i'd like 2 point out I dont wnt to get rid of Dean, thats too much like killing him, I just want to be able to control him. The problem with ppl at school isnt that they irritate me its that it means i have 2 sort of calm Dean, which gives me a headache.

10. Louise

The good news is that you are getting help before you do something serious and end up in prison.

Who cares what stupid kids at school think. You know what is going on inside you you are not mad. Yes you have two personalities living within you but the psychologist will help you come to terms with these personalities and learn how to manage them so that you can live in harmony with them both.

I'm sure you can do this and we will always be here to support you.

11. JWAD

JWAD Guest

BTW thanx Martin:thumbsup:

12. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is something that your psychologist will work with. You need to make sure you tell your psychologist all this so that they can help you and do what you want. They will be trying to give you control of your mind like you wish, and words like 'altering' do not necessarily mean they can remove Dean out of your life. There is no real way to treat some psychological behaviours, and because of this they treat the symptons instead. That itself can mean they will teach you to suppress Dean so that you have the authority control over him. The therapy will not just cut him away from your life, and it's not possible to anyway due to the therapy not working that way. If you're worried that is what will happen then talk to your psychologist, but you need to be aware that nothing can happen if you don't want it to. They do not have power over your mind, and anything that does happen will only be because you want it to. :slight_smile:

You seem to have control over him at the moment with the occasional slip-up when he overpowers you so just keep working on it. Now that you have the therapy sessions starting you should aim to get your desired result. You need to remember that you need to be the one in control which is why it's important you do not let anybody else (including Dean) dictate your progress in the therapy sessions.

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really kinda surprised no one has corrected this mislabelling. While years ago schizophrenia was erroneously believed to be a case of someone having multiple personalities, I thought it was pretty common knowledge at this point that schizophrenia is quite distinct from multiple personality disorder or, more properly, dissociative identity disorder. Schizophrenia generally involves people hearing voices and having delusions, not having split or multiple personalities. If you look up schizophrenia on wikipedia, there's an explanation of how the two disorders became confused and conflated in popular culture.

In the last 20 years or so, schizophrenia support and research groups have made a lot of effort to clarify that no, schizophrenia does not mean you have more than one personality. I guess those efforts haven't been completely successful. But yeah, what JWAD is describing, especially having someone else "take control" during periods of high stress/conflict, sounds a lot more like DID than it does like schizophrenia. I hope his psychiatrist has clued into this--actually, have you had any kind of "official" diagnosis? As someone else said, it would be better to go with that than our guesses based on your symptoms.

Also, psychologists (at least here in Canada and also in the US) generally treat people who are suffering from mental distress (grief, stress, etc.) but for things like actual mental illness (clinical depression, schizophrenia, DID, psychosis, etc.) you are treated by a psychiatrist. The difference being that psychiatrists are medical doctors dealing with mental/brain issues who can prescribe drugs, whereas psychologists are counsellors who cannot prescribe drugs and who do not have a medical license. Maybe this is different in the UK but I thought it was worth clarifying that for those of us on the other side of the Atlantic.

14. SamAlex728

OMFG!!! That's totally what I was thinking. When you grow up with your mom watching soap operas (annoying as hell btw) things tend to stick, especially the medical terms. I want to be a forensic scientist, so maybe that helps me remember. But anyways, as soon as I read the first post, that's what I thought of.