1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving and Sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mrcake, May 13, 2013.

1. Mrcake

Hello EC! I wanted to ask your opinion's about moving and sexuality. I will be moving out of my house and city in two months to another town three hours away from where I am right now. The question I have is, what is the best way to introduce myself to a new town\college without coming off as an extreme gay person. I am closeted right now and the only person that knows about my sexuality is myself and some online friends. Should I go to a LGBT club or just look around the campus and meet some people? I'll be living in the town for at least two years, so I will have plenty of time to meet people. Thanks.

2. Trailblazer

I'm not sure why you would he worried about coming off as extremely gay, seeing as your not out where you are now.

3. kumpel

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    unless your personality is all about being gay then you will come off as a gay person. being gay is just an aspect of yourself not your entire identity. be yourself. join lgbt groups and other groups that interest you. you will meet like minded people gay and straight.

if you be yourself.. people will see who you are.. not who you have sex with. (does that make sense?)

4. Mrcake

I want to be myself, I just don't want people to label me or discriminate because of it. I want to have a good reputation and let people know that I am a hard working - passionate person.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You will get the reputation of being hard-working and passionate, by being hard -working and passionate...you also happen to be gay. What people label you is their business. You may want to check out any school policy against discrimination if you feel that this has happened to you...

6. BudderMC

It's also a case of first impressions. If you go to an anime club, the people who first meet you there will remember you as "that guy who really likes anime" for the first little while, until you get to know them better and they expand their opinion of you. Similar concept applies with an LGBT club. If anything, I'd argue people at an LGBT club are less likely to hold that strong first impression, because they can also acknowledge that being gay is no big deal and that there are more important things about a person.

7. Mrcake

Apparently my school has a LGBTQ center or something.. I hope it is cool. Idk, I have just been anxious lately about discrimination. In light of everything, Minnesota just legalized gay marriage today! But I'm sure people won't even know, I mean, I don't seem or look like a gay person (not stereotypically speaking). Idk, I guess I'm new to this gay\bisexual thing and I have a lot of stereotypes. Hell we just got accepted for equality in Minnesota... so it is all derived from stupid stereotypes and religious idiocracy.

8. Candace

This is amazing to hear!! I don't seem like a stereotypical gay either, but I found some really good friends in my LGBT club on campus. The events are fun and you feel like you can be you, without any judgment. Go for it and see if you like it. You have nothing to lose :slight_smile:

9. Mrcake

Any more replies would be helpful. I am really struggling with my sexuality right now and it is bugging the crap out of me! I find myself wanting to be gay and out to everyone, but I don't find myself wanting to do it right now. I am so closeted it hurts..When I do move this will change though.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would def go to the LGBTQ center. I just started to go to mine this year in college (I'm in my second year) and I really wish that I would've gone sooner. Really, most people in college could care less about somebody's sexuality.